Jun 13, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins aren’t going to concern themselves with Andrew Shaw.
That was the story following Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, as B’s head coach Claude Julien said his club isn’t strategizing how to silence Chicago’s gritty forward — even though he was a force.
“I don’t think we do our gameplan around Mr. Shaw,” Julien explained. “Our gameplan is against the Chicago Blackhawks.
“We know he’s an agitator, we know he’s good at embellishing too, at times. We know all that stuff.”
In addition to scoring the game-winning goal in the fifth-longest game in Stanley Cup Final history, Shaw stuffed the stat sheet.
He finished with a goal, an assist, a plus-2 rating, a team-high nine hits, one takeaway and won his lone faceoff on the evening — all in a career-high 24:03 time on ice.
Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville couldn’t say enough about the performance.
“He’s a competitor,” Quenneville explained. “He does things game in, game out. The bigger the stage, the bigger the challenge, he rises to the occasion.”
Shaw now has nine points in 18 postseason games, and is quickly becoming one of Chicago’s best performers in the clutch.
He’s tied for the team lead in game-winning goals, with two, and played a key role in kickstarting the Blackhawks’ two-goal rally in the third period by setting up Dave Bolland to cut Boston’s lead to one.
The pass to Bolland was a pretty one, but it was Shaw’s grinder tendencies that had his head coach raving.
“[Shaw] knows where the front of net is. Doesn’t have to be pretty,” Quenneville said. “He’s a warrior. He’s one of those guys that you appreciate he’s on your side and he’s relentless.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)