Jun 13, 2013, 1:47 AM EST
The Boston Bruins aren’t going to concern themselves with Andrew Shaw.
That was the story following Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, as B’s head coach Claude Julien said his club isn’t strategizing how to silence Chicago’s gritty forward — even though he was a force.
“I don’t think we do our gameplan around Mr. Shaw,” Julien explained. “Our gameplan is against the Chicago Blackhawks.
“We know he’s an agitator, we know he’s good at embellishing too, at times. We know all that stuff.”
In addition to scoring the game-winning goal in the fifth-longest game in Stanley Cup Final history, Shaw stuffed the stat sheet.
He finished with a goal, an assist, a plus-2 rating, a team-high nine hits, one takeaway and won his lone faceoff on the evening — all in a career-high 24:03 time on ice.
Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville couldn’t say enough about the performance.
“He’s a competitor,” Quenneville explained. “He does things game in, game out. The bigger the stage, the bigger the challenge, he rises to the occasion.”
Shaw now has nine points in 18 postseason games, and is quickly becoming one of Chicago’s best performers in the clutch.
He’s tied for the team lead in game-winning goals, with two, and played a key role in kickstarting the Blackhawks’ two-goal rally in the third period by setting up Dave Bolland to cut Boston’s lead to one.
The pass to Bolland was a pretty one, but it was Shaw’s grinder tendencies that had his head coach raving.
“[Shaw] knows where the front of net is. Doesn’t have to be pretty,” Quenneville said. “He’s a warrior. He’s one of those guys that you appreciate he’s on your side and he’s relentless.”
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 2
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8