Jun 13, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins aren’t going to concern themselves with Andrew Shaw.
That was the story following Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, as B’s head coach Claude Julien said his club isn’t strategizing how to silence Chicago’s gritty forward — even though he was a force.
“I don’t think we do our gameplan around Mr. Shaw,” Julien explained. “Our gameplan is against the Chicago Blackhawks.
“We know he’s an agitator, we know he’s good at embellishing too, at times. We know all that stuff.”
In addition to scoring the game-winning goal in the fifth-longest game in Stanley Cup Final history, Shaw stuffed the stat sheet.
He finished with a goal, an assist, a plus-2 rating, a team-high nine hits, one takeaway and won his lone faceoff on the evening — all in a career-high 24:03 time on ice.
Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville couldn’t say enough about the performance.
“He’s a competitor,” Quenneville explained. “He does things game in, game out. The bigger the stage, the bigger the challenge, he rises to the occasion.”
Shaw now has nine points in 18 postseason games, and is quickly becoming one of Chicago’s best performers in the clutch.
He’s tied for the team lead in game-winning goals, with two, and played a key role in kickstarting the Blackhawks’ two-goal rally in the third period by setting up Dave Bolland to cut Boston’s lead to one.
The pass to Bolland was a pretty one, but it was Shaw’s grinder tendencies that had his head coach raving.
“[Shaw] knows where the front of net is. Doesn’t have to be pretty,” Quenneville said. “He’s a warrior. He’s one of those guys that you appreciate he’s on your side and he’s relentless.”
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8