Game 1 mistake won’t deter Bruins rookie Krug

Jun 13, 2013, 8:40 PM EST

Torey Krug Getty Images

Boston’s Torey Krug has been huge for the Bruins’ success this postseason. Last night, however, it was his “terrible turnover” that turned into the game-winning goal in triple-overtime.

Krug faced the music at today’s off-day press conference and said if he had to do it all over again, he’d do it pretty much the same way.

“I’d probably try again in the future. I would just execute it differently,” he said. “For me, playing that way, you have to have a short-term memory. I think the best players do. I’ll quickly forget about it. I’ll learn from it.”

Bruins coach Claude Julien certainly hopes he will, but he won’t throw him under the bus for his mistake.

“It’s easy to focus in on one thing,” Julien said. “Yes, it was a mistake  to throw that puck up the middle. If you look back at the play, I didn’t think we had a great line change and he didn’t have a ton of options. I think there could be some blame shared on that goal.”

If the Bruins are going to even things up in Game 2, they’ll need everyone to be sharper.

1. nunan - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Krug plays a certain way. It’s what got him into the NHL. He’s trying to initiate offense and move the puck quickly, whether he skates it or passes it. That pass was a mistake. It looks worse bc they Hawks scored but he’s probably made that same play effectively in the past and it worked. It is what it is. Can’t ask a guy to change the way he approaches the game because of a mistake. Just have to learn from it. Part of it is that everyone was expecting him to make a mistake bc he’s a rookie. Once it happened, people go “oh there it is…see, I told you…”. Krug has been good. I would ask him to be more of a threat out there..he’s not as ‘noticeable’ as he was against the Rangers. I want him walking the blue line and threatening to shoot more. That’s where he’s effective.

2. boomer1451 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM

How do you link to the article about the “terrible turnover” and still not know that it wasn’t the one that actually led to the “game-winning goal in triple overtime”

• chicagobtech - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Even if it were, at that point in the game I can’t really find fault of an individual’s play. It was well into the third overtime period, the players were working on their second straight game. They were tired, both mentally and physically.

At that point it’s not a matter of who is better, it’s a matter of who will make the bigger mistake.

3. dboldave - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Bad play but I hope they don’t take him out of the lineup for game 2. He moves the puck so well and I really feel that their power play has improved with him.

4. nard100 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

If it weren’t for the play of this guy, the Bruins probably wouldn’t be in the finals. He will make it up in these finals.

5. hockey412 - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It’s weird how all the Boston fans that rant about anything being written on the Pens don’t even comment on the Boston articles…

6. thesportsjudge - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I think that is because the fans(for the most part) are kind of like the team. More defensive minded. Better counter-punchers than punchers.

• thesportsjudge - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Weird. This was supposed to be a response to hockey412.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches