Jun 13, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
Well, going into this, we talked about how it would be a close series, so naturally Game 1 had to be the longest game of the 2013 playoffs and the fifth longest in the history of the Stanley Cup Final. Both teams had chances in overtime, but in the end Chicago forward Andrew Shaw scored the winner with the help of Dave Bolland and Michal Rozsival.
Here are the game notes:
- Since the NHL started with best-of-seven finals in 1939, the winner of Game 1 has captured the Stanley Cup 76.7% of the time.
- The last time a Stanley Cup Final game lasted more than a single overtime period was June 2, 2008, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
- This game reached triple digits in a lot of different ways. Over 100 combined shots on goals, faceoffs, hits — and minutes played.
- The Boston Bruins couldn’t score a single power-play goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference finals, but Patrice Bergeron nailed one early in their first opportunity against the Blackhawks. That being said, Chicago shut them down in the Bruins’ other power-play opportunities.
- Back in the regular season, Chicago was the best team in the league when trailing after two periods with a 4-5-1 record.
- Before tonight, Boston hadn’t trailed in a game since May 25, according to CSN’s Joe Haggerty
- In one game, the Chicago Blackhawks have scored more goals against the Boston Bruins than the Penguins did in their entire series.
- Chicago had 4:43 minutes of ice time, including their 5-on-3 power-play, but they only managed two shots on goal, according to the Boston Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
And it’s a pretty impressive projected top six.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Washington’s looked pretty darn good under Barry Trotz.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
“I thought our team was really resilient,” said Dan Hamhuis.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Oct 23, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
“He never back-talked.”
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
So says his coach. (And rightly so.)
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
They’re first and second in the Central Division, and neither has lost in regulation yet.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Postponed in the wake of the Ottawa shootings.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s a special teams extravaganza!
Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Says he was never asked to increase ice time of youngsters returning from injury.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
“He’s playing great.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
A court date has been set for Dec. 1.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Probably a figurative slap.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Islanders defenseman spent six seasons with the Bruins
Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
He’s in the American Hockey League to start 2014-15.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Looks better than one might expect.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
He was injured on Oct. 16.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
No. 8 was having a bit of a difficult night.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (77)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)