Jun 13, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
Well, going into this, we talked about how it would be a close series, so naturally Game 1 had to be the longest game of the 2013 playoffs and the fifth longest in the history of the Stanley Cup Final. Both teams had chances in overtime, but in the end Chicago forward Andrew Shaw scored the winner with the help of Dave Bolland and Michal Rozsival.
Here are the game notes:
- Since the NHL started with best-of-seven finals in 1939, the winner of Game 1 has captured the Stanley Cup 76.7% of the time.
- The last time a Stanley Cup Final game lasted more than a single overtime period was June 2, 2008, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
- This game reached triple digits in a lot of different ways. Over 100 combined shots on goals, faceoffs, hits — and minutes played.
- The Boston Bruins couldn’t score a single power-play goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference finals, but Patrice Bergeron nailed one early in their first opportunity against the Blackhawks. That being said, Chicago shut them down in the Bruins’ other power-play opportunities.
- Back in the regular season, Chicago was the best team in the league when trailing after two periods with a 4-5-1 record.
- Before tonight, Boston hadn’t trailed in a game since May 25, according to CSN’s Joe Haggerty
- In one game, the Chicago Blackhawks have scored more goals against the Boston Bruins than the Penguins did in their entire series.
- Chicago had 4:43 minutes of ice time, including their 5-on-3 power-play, but they only managed two shots on goal, according to the Boston Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)