Jun 13, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
Well, going into this, we talked about how it would be a close series, so naturally Game 1 had to be the longest game of the 2013 playoffs and the fifth longest in the history of the Stanley Cup Final. Both teams had chances in overtime, but in the end Chicago forward Andrew Shaw scored the winner with the help of Dave Bolland and Michal Rozsival.
Here are the game notes:
- Since the NHL started with best-of-seven finals in 1939, the winner of Game 1 has captured the Stanley Cup 76.7% of the time.
- The last time a Stanley Cup Final game lasted more than a single overtime period was June 2, 2008, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
- This game reached triple digits in a lot of different ways. Over 100 combined shots on goals, faceoffs, hits — and minutes played.
- The Boston Bruins couldn’t score a single power-play goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference finals, but Patrice Bergeron nailed one early in their first opportunity against the Blackhawks. That being said, Chicago shut them down in the Bruins’ other power-play opportunities.
- Back in the regular season, Chicago was the best team in the league when trailing after two periods with a 4-5-1 record.
- Before tonight, Boston hadn’t trailed in a game since May 25, according to CSN’s Joe Haggerty
- In one game, the Chicago Blackhawks have scored more goals against the Boston Bruins than the Penguins did in their entire series.
- Chicago had 4:43 minutes of ice time, including their 5-on-3 power-play, but they only managed two shots on goal, according to the Boston Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa.
May 30, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’ll be eligible to re-enter next month’s NHL Draft.
May 30, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
He met with doctors in Buffalo on Thursday.
May 30, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He is currently an assistant coach in Nashville.
May 30, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
Hard to blame the goalie in this one.
May 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
“I don’t know if we’re so young and dumb and don’t know any better…”
May 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Might explain what occurred in the first period.
May 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Tampa Bay awaits the winner of the Blackhawks-Ducks series.
May 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Is it enough?
May 29, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Game 7 goes Saturday.
May 29, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT
Something to keep an eye on.
May 29, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Rangers also make one change to the lineup.
May 29, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
The winner, as you know, goes to the Stanley Cup Final.
May 29, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
“I’ve met with Nick several times and he knows he made a terrible mistake.”
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
And it looks like Tomas Fleischmann might replace Emerson Etem, again.
May 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
People like ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
May 29, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Appeared in just 33 games this season.
May 29, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
“I don’t feel any tingling or soreness.”
May 29, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
NHL Central Scouting thinks slightly more of the B.C. defender.
May 29, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Spent the past five seasons in the KHL.
May 29, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
That’s former NHL defenseman and current AHL Binghamton bench boss Luke Richardson.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 1
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 28
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 70
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)