Jun 13, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
Well, going into this, we talked about how it would be a close series, so naturally Game 1 had to be the longest game of the 2013 playoffs and the fifth longest in the history of the Stanley Cup Final. Both teams had chances in overtime, but in the end Chicago forward Andrew Shaw scored the winner with the help of Dave Bolland and Michal Rozsival.
Here are the game notes:
- Since the NHL started with best-of-seven finals in 1939, the winner of Game 1 has captured the Stanley Cup 76.7% of the time.
- The last time a Stanley Cup Final game lasted more than a single overtime period was June 2, 2008, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
- This game reached triple digits in a lot of different ways. Over 100 combined shots on goals, faceoffs, hits — and minutes played.
- The Boston Bruins couldn’t score a single power-play goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference finals, but Patrice Bergeron nailed one early in their first opportunity against the Blackhawks. That being said, Chicago shut them down in the Bruins’ other power-play opportunities.
- Back in the regular season, Chicago was the best team in the league when trailing after two periods with a 4-5-1 record.
- Before tonight, Boston hadn’t trailed in a game since May 25, according to CSN’s Joe Haggerty
- In one game, the Chicago Blackhawks have scored more goals against the Boston Bruins than the Penguins did in their entire series.
- Chicago had 4:43 minutes of ice time, including their 5-on-3 power-play, but they only managed two shots on goal, according to the Boston Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40