Jun 13, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
Well, going into this, we talked about how it would be a close series, so naturally Game 1 had to be the longest game of the 2013 playoffs and the fifth longest in the history of the Stanley Cup Final. Both teams had chances in overtime, but in the end Chicago forward Andrew Shaw scored the winner with the help of Dave Bolland and Michal Rozsival.
Here are the game notes:
- Since the NHL started with best-of-seven finals in 1939, the winner of Game 1 has captured the Stanley Cup 76.7% of the time.
- The last time a Stanley Cup Final game lasted more than a single overtime period was June 2, 2008, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
- This game reached triple digits in a lot of different ways. Over 100 combined shots on goals, faceoffs, hits — and minutes played.
- The Boston Bruins couldn’t score a single power-play goal against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference finals, but Patrice Bergeron nailed one early in their first opportunity against the Blackhawks. That being said, Chicago shut them down in the Bruins’ other power-play opportunities.
- Back in the regular season, Chicago was the best team in the league when trailing after two periods with a 4-5-1 record.
- Before tonight, Boston hadn’t trailed in a game since May 25, according to CSN’s Joe Haggerty
- In one game, the Chicago Blackhawks have scored more goals against the Boston Bruins than the Penguins did in their entire series.
- Chicago had 4:43 minutes of ice time, including their 5-on-3 power-play, but they only managed two shots on goal, according to the Boston Globe’s Fluto Shinzawa.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)