Daugavins regrets near-miss: ‘I had him beat’

Jun 13, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks forward Andrew Shaw became a hero in the Windy City – and probably in the hearts of many spouses who weren’t thrilled about a marathon Game 1 – but things could have been very different on Wednesday.

The Boston Bruins are likely kicking themselves for some missed opportunities in the opening contest of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final. One player who might just feel the worst about the situation is Kaspars Daugavins, whose place in the starting lineup is far from guaranteed:

The 25-year-old lamented the missed opportunity to Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes.

“I had him beat, but while I was shooting I got tripped and my hands got tied up,” Daugavins said.

Shaw chalked his goal up to luck. Apparently Daugavins experienced the other side of the coin.

1. theskinsman - Jun 13, 2013 at 3:30 AM

He got tripped.It happens.Great game,though. Go Bruins!

• hockinj25 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

That didn’t affect the play that much. He fell well after he had the wide open net.

2. raiderufan - Jun 13, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Looks a litte more like he over thought it….I’m sure he’s going to but he can’t beat himself up over it. That was just the last missed opportunity so it sticks out. You don’t get to 3 OT’s with out a handfull of missed opps for both teams.

He played well and we need him for game 2. Hopefully the next day or two get’s his head right.

3. neelybourque778 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Wide open net. Just redirect it in and the B’s are up 1-0. Not the time to get cute with the puck. Where’s Bergeron when you need him….

4. timmeh022 - Jun 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Tried to be a little too fancy with it, I thought for sure Bruins had it won when that chance developed. Definitely made my heart skip a beat or twelve as a Hawks fan. Chara’s rip can go into that category as well.

5. papajack1259 - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Reality is, Crawford was beat several times, The Bs missed several glittering chances, Hawks are fortunate, they better tighten up, luck has a way of drying up

Top 10 NHL Player Searches