Jun 13, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
Some sad news out of the Dallas Stars organization — on Thursday morning, prospect Scott Winkler was found dead at his home in Norway.
Winkler, 23, recently completed his senior year at Colorado College and was prepared to join AHL Texas for 2013-14, assistant GM Les Jackson told the Dallas Morning News.
“It’s just such a shock and so sad,’’ Jackson said. “He was a good kid with a bright future, and our thoughts go out to his family.’’
On Thursday afternoon, Stars GM Jim Nill released a statement on Winkler’s passing.
“The Dallas Stars are heartbroken to hear about Scott’s passing,” Nill said. “Scott was a wonderful young man with great character and a bright future.
“We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends.”
Dallas selected Winkler in the third round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
The cause of his death is unknown, according to Colorado College athletic director Ken Ralph.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)