Jun 13, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
Some sad news out of the Dallas Stars organization — on Thursday morning, prospect Scott Winkler was found dead at his home in Norway.
Winkler, 23, recently completed his senior year at Colorado College and was prepared to join AHL Texas for 2013-14, assistant GM Les Jackson told the Dallas Morning News.
“It’s just such a shock and so sad,’’ Jackson said. “He was a good kid with a bright future, and our thoughts go out to his family.’’
On Thursday afternoon, Stars GM Jim Nill released a statement on Winkler’s passing.
“The Dallas Stars are heartbroken to hear about Scott’s passing,” Nill said. “Scott was a wonderful young man with great character and a bright future.
“We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends.”
Dallas selected Winkler in the third round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
The cause of his death is unknown, according to Colorado College athletic director Ken Ralph.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)