Jun 13, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
Some sad news out of the Dallas Stars organization — on Thursday morning, prospect Scott Winkler was found dead at his home in Norway.
Winkler, 23, recently completed his senior year at Colorado College and was prepared to join AHL Texas for 2013-14, assistant GM Les Jackson told the Dallas Morning News.
“It’s just such a shock and so sad,’’ Jackson said. “He was a good kid with a bright future, and our thoughts go out to his family.’’
On Thursday afternoon, Stars GM Jim Nill released a statement on Winkler’s passing.
“The Dallas Stars are heartbroken to hear about Scott’s passing,” Nill said. “Scott was a wonderful young man with great character and a bright future.
“We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends.”
Dallas selected Winkler in the third round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
The cause of his death is unknown, according to Colorado College athletic director Ken Ralph.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)