Jun 13, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
Some sad news out of the Dallas Stars organization — on Thursday morning, prospect Scott Winkler was found dead at his home in Norway.
Winkler, 23, recently completed his senior year at Colorado College and was prepared to join AHL Texas for 2013-14, assistant GM Les Jackson told the Dallas Morning News.
“It’s just such a shock and so sad,’’ Jackson said. “He was a good kid with a bright future, and our thoughts go out to his family.’’
On Thursday afternoon, Stars GM Jim Nill released a statement on Winkler’s passing.
“The Dallas Stars are heartbroken to hear about Scott’s passing,” Nill said. “Scott was a wonderful young man with great character and a bright future.
“We extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends.”
Dallas selected Winkler in the third round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
The cause of his death is unknown, according to Colorado College athletic director Ken Ralph.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)