Jun 13, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
“No decision could be a decision” is how NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly put it Wednesday.
What he meant is this: If the city of Glendale doesn’t get an arena-management deal done soon with the latest prospective owners of the Phoenix Coyotes, the NHL will be forced to relocate the franchise for next season.
How soon does a decision need to be made? Well, the City Council is set to meet on June 25, and the NHL Board of Governors convenes June 27.
“Stuff’s gonna happen,” said commissioner Gary Bettman yesterday.
“Obviously we’re getting to the point where some decisions are going to have to be made, both by the city of Glendale and by us. We haven’t set a deadline, but the time is getting shorter.”
Which brings us to this:
For Coyotes fans, that’s not good.
Obviously, this is a massive decision for the cash-strapped city. It’s believed the Renaissance Sports & Entertainment group is looking for around $15 million a year to manage Jobing.com Arena if it buys the club. Four bidders recently proposed to manage the rink without an NHL tenant.
“I could easily see this going into July,” Sherwood told The Republic. “I’m a little embarrassed that we haven’t been better prepared.”
June 25 may not be the official deadline for Glendale, but for scheduling reasons (not to mention, this just can’t keep dragging on), the NHL will need to be quite certain a deal is going to get done if it waits on the city any longer.
“No matter how this plays out, I don’t think anybody can accuse us of kind of (taking) a grass-is-greener approach to this,” Daly said. “We’ve been committed to this market; we’ve done everything humanly possible to make this franchise work in this market, and now’s the time we’re going to find out whether that works.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 21
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)