Jun 13, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
The opening game of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final on NBC — which was a pretty good game — received a 4.8 household rating, up 100 percent compared to Game 1 between the Kings and Devils a year ago.
It was also the best rating for a Game 1 of the Cup final since 1997, when it was on a far less handsome network.
For those wondering about Providence and Milwaukee, the first is a short distance from Boston, the second a short distance from Chicago.
Game 2 of the series goes Saturday (8 p.m. ET) on NBC Sports Network.
- 2015 Jack Adams Award finalists: Hartley, Laviolette, Vigneault 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 14
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 41
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (66)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)