Video: Adam McQuaid avoids high-sticking penalty

Jun 12, 2013, 10:06 PM EDT

Going into the 2013 Stanley Cup Final, a big question was: how will officials call the games?

The power-play opportunities rolled in for the Chicago Blackhawks later on in the second period of Game 1 on Wednesday, yet one high-sticking infraction went under the radar:

Now, was that a matter of selective calling or a missed whistle? If nothing else, other infractions are being called, including this hit by Zdeno Chara:

1. gallyhatch - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Hey, PHT, make sure you post an article about Shaw selling a cross check to the chest as a high stick. . . .an oscar worthy performance that landed Chara in the penalty box.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 13, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Funny, Chara went down at first contact on that tripping call, before the stick could actually trip him.

• gallyhatch - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I’m not complaining about Shaw getting the call, that’s how hockey goes in 2013. I’m just pointing out that it’s asinine for PHT to post an article about a single missed call.

I guess I shouldn’t expect unbiased reporting out of the hacks who write for this site, but this article still struck me as odd.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Fair point.

I’m still kind of glad to see it considering that it’s been since before the Jonathan Toews Penalty Period early against Detroit that a high stick call has gone in the Hawks favor. In fact, Shaw took a worse version of hit right across the nose in Game 5, drawing blood, and only drew a 2 minute cross checking.

• hockey412 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM

The Bruins embellish just as much, if not more, than any other team in the league. It’s sickening that their fans don’t see it, yet everyone else does. It’s also sickening that their own coach (and their fans) barks about OTHER teams doing it.

• gallyhatch - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Waaaa, my Penguins got swept. . . . waaaaa

• hockey412 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM

The way you answer a comment relating to the hypocrisy of the Bruins organization and fan base in that fashion speaks volume for your credibility and hockey-intelligence.

• gallyhatch - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Penguins fan, right? I assume so based on the ‘412’.

Hypocrisy runs rampant with every NHL franchise. Remeber when Mario wanted quit the NHL because Crosby got concussed & he didn’t like the direction in which the league was headed? It’s amazing he said that with a straight face considering who he had on his payroll.

If you think the Bruins are more hypocritical than any other franchise, that speaks volumes about YOUR credibility & hockey intelligence, good sir.

If I’m incorrect in regards the the team you support, please enlighten me.

• hockey412 - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM

There really isn’t anything that I can even reply to on here, it’s all opinion and BS at that. The Bruins are hypocritical in the sense that they accuse other teams of diving and foul play, period…that’s what I said earlier and after your reply, the comment is uncontested…so….what is there to reply to? I also dislike when players from Boston say anything about other teams being dirty – not always the cleanest bunch…and at the pro level you should not need to have the little stop signs on the back of the jerseys for these guys to know you can’t check in the back. My honest opinion on why Boston is doing so well since the TML series is that the refs swallowed their whistles since then.

• gallyhatch - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

No response???

Can’t say I’m surprised.

• gallyhatch - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM

You made a blanket statement about the Bruins and their fans, don’t backpedal now.

It’s my opinion that a person who would come on here and make a statement like you did is likely a fan of a team that the Bruins dispatched from the playoffs in 2011 or 2013, and said blanket statement stems more from sour grapes than anything else. I might be wrong, but you haven’t refuted that, so I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I thought you might engage me in a debate about how the team you support, and / or the fanbase of which you are a part is so much less hypocritical than the Bruins and their fans. That would only be fair considering the statement you made, no?

Silly me, I guess I thought wrong. I’m only asking you to back up your statements, but you have no interest in doing that. You would rather make a blanket statement, then run and hide. (and I’m the one with no hockey intelligence or credibility, right?)

2. dropthepuckeh - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Isn’t Handzus diving a penalty on that “interference” call? Thought Chicago was better than that. Missing a call is one thing, faking for a call is quite another.

• hockeycoach1 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Agree. It was almost a good enough dive to earn a spot on Boston’s roster

• gallyhatch - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM

ummm… did you watch tonight’s game? The Bruins were not the ones embellishing.

• freestyle1022 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Please tell me who’s diving on the Boston roster?? And you cant say Marchand anymore, not once since last year in Washington since someone got a hold of him in the organization and told him to cut the bleep.

Shaws play was probably a penalty on Chara (still embellished), but the Horton interference was a chincey call.

3. madtolive5 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM

When did knocking a stick into your own face become a high stick ???
    Good none call.