Jun 12, 2013, 7:52 PM EDT
There are talented players that go their entire careers without advancing as far as 20-year-old Brandon Saad has, so he knows he has to savor these moments.
“It’s my first season. So to be able to play at this stage (is unbelievable),” the Chicago Blackhawks forward told CSN Chicago. “A lot of the guys said ‘just take advantage of it because you never know when it’s gonna come around again.'”
Saad had a strong rookie season with 10 goals and 27 points in 46 games, but he has just four assists in the 2013 playoffs.
“Hopefully I’m saving them for this round,” he said. “You never know, but just come out flying, playing my game and I’ll create chances.”
He’s projected to start Game 1 on the third line with Dave Bolland and Andrew Shaw. The Boston Bruins are expected to pair their strongest defenders against the Blackhawks’ top two lines. Boston held the Pittsburgh Penguins to just two goals in four playoff games, which highlights just how effective the Bruins’ shutdown defense can be.
One way for the Blackhawks to overcome that would be to get some good scoring chances out of that third line.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)