Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
In case there was any doubt, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan is still very much part of the franchise’s plans.
San Jose has inked him to an extension, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
That shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. While the Sharks have been unable to win the Stanley Cup under McLellan, they did bounce back from some particularly bad patches in 2013 and took the Los Angeles Kings to seven games in the second round.
When their playoff run ended, Sharks GM Doug Wilson offered his strong support of the team’s current coaching staff.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau will both be 34 by the time the 2013-14 campaign starts and the Sharks will have to increasingly lean on their younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski. So far that transition has gone smoothly, but we’ll have to see if the newer generation can help San Jose finally earn its first Stanley Cup championship.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)