Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
In case there was any doubt, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan is still very much part of the franchise’s plans.
San Jose has inked him to an extension, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
That shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. While the Sharks have been unable to win the Stanley Cup under McLellan, they did bounce back from some particularly bad patches in 2013 and took the Los Angeles Kings to seven games in the second round.
When their playoff run ended, Sharks GM Doug Wilson offered his strong support of the team’s current coaching staff.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau will both be 34 by the time the 2013-14 campaign starts and the Sharks will have to increasingly lean on their younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski. So far that transition has gone smoothly, but we’ll have to see if the newer generation can help San Jose finally earn its first Stanley Cup championship.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)