Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
In case there was any doubt, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan is still very much part of the franchise’s plans.
San Jose has inked him to an extension, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
That shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. While the Sharks have been unable to win the Stanley Cup under McLellan, they did bounce back from some particularly bad patches in 2013 and took the Los Angeles Kings to seven games in the second round.
When their playoff run ended, Sharks GM Doug Wilson offered his strong support of the team’s current coaching staff.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau will both be 34 by the time the 2013-14 campaign starts and the Sharks will have to increasingly lean on their younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski. So far that transition has gone smoothly, but we’ll have to see if the newer generation can help San Jose finally earn its first Stanley Cup championship.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)