Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 AM EST
In case there was any doubt, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan is still very much part of the franchise’s plans.
San Jose has inked him to an extension, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
That shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. While the Sharks have been unable to win the Stanley Cup under McLellan, they did bounce back from some particularly bad patches in 2013 and took the Los Angeles Kings to seven games in the second round.
When their playoff run ended, Sharks GM Doug Wilson offered his strong support of the team’s current coaching staff.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau will both be 34 by the time the 2013-14 campaign starts and the Sharks will have to increasingly lean on their younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski. So far that transition has gone smoothly, but we’ll have to see if the newer generation can help San Jose finally earn its first Stanley Cup championship.
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 0
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 14
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 27
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 31
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 31
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)