Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
In case there was any doubt, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan is still very much part of the franchise’s plans.
San Jose has inked him to an extension, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
That shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. While the Sharks have been unable to win the Stanley Cup under McLellan, they did bounce back from some particularly bad patches in 2013 and took the Los Angeles Kings to seven games in the second round.
When their playoff run ended, Sharks GM Doug Wilson offered his strong support of the team’s current coaching staff.
“I think they’ve done an excellent job. All of the components of it,” Wilson said. “Larry and Jimmy coming in, it makes us a complete staff that not only allows us to play the way we want to play today, it helps the younger players get ready to play. I think they did an excellent job. Very proud of the job they did.”
Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau will both be 34 by the time the 2013-14 campaign starts and the Sharks will have to increasingly lean on their younger forwards like Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski. So far that transition has gone smoothly, but we’ll have to see if the newer generation can help San Jose finally earn its first Stanley Cup championship.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 2
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)