Jun 12, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
Jamie Langenbrunner wants to play another year in the NHL, but knows it won’t be in St. Louis.
Langenbrunner, 37, has been informed by Blues management he won’t be offered a contract for next season, according to TrueHockey’s Andy Strickland.
“I don’t think I’m in their plans,” said Langenbrunner, who has been with the Blues for the last two seasons.
Langenbrunner joined the Blues in 2011-12 after 15 years with the Dallas and New Jersey organizations. His first season in St. Louis went well — he appeared in 70 games, racking up six goals and 18 assists — but last season was a write-off.
He returned to St. Louis on a one-year, $1.5 million deal but had half the year wiped out due to the lockout. When play resumed, he was repeatedly made a healthy scratch before suffering a hip injury that required season-ending surgery.
Langenbrunner told Strickland he’d like to keep playing, and the Blues haven’t closed the door on inviting him to 2013-14 training camp on a professional try-out.
There’s also the possibility Langenbrunner could try to catch on with the Minnesota Wild. He’s friends with Zach Parise from their days in New Jersey and grew up in Minnesota, emerging as a local high school star before joining OHL Peterborough.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)