Jun 12, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
It’s not often that you see a team throw $28 million at a defenseman that only has 100 games worth of NHL experience.
If he develops as projected, his $4 million annual cap hit will look like a steal in a couple years, especially after the ordeals they went through with defensemen Shea Weber and Ryan Suter. But that’s only if he develops as projected.
Most players that get rewarded with this kind of security have a bit more on their resume, but Josi doesn’t think this deal will lead to complacency.
“I’m playing because I’m having fun playing hockey,” Josi told The Tennessean. “I’m excited for next season and the money is one part of the business, but the main (reason) you play hockey is to be successful and have fun with it, and I’m motivated to do the same things this summer and work hard.”
Meanwhile, Josi is in Switzerland with fellow NHL blueliners Mark Streit and Yannick Weber. He’s working on strengthening and his nutritional habits as he gets ready for the first year of his new contract.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)