Jun 12, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
Even though he’s a rookie, Brendan Gallagher understands the significance of the longstanding Montreal-Boston rivalry.
The Canadiens forward — who is one of the three finalists for this year’s Calder Trophy — told the Vancouver Sun that, despite his friendship with Bruins forward (and fellow ex-WHL Vancouver Giant) Milan Lucic, he doesn’t want to see Boston win the Stanley Cup.
“I mean, I’m happy for Lootch and I’m glad he’s doing well,” Gallagher said. “But I just don’t want to see Boston win.”
Gallagher, 21, finished the year on the rookie leaderboard in a number of key statistical categories: second in the league in shots (117), second in goals (tied), fourth in points (28) and fifth in plus-minus (plus-10).
He also thrust himself into the Habs-Bruins rivalry by scoring this dramatic game-tying goal in a late-March contest:
All told, Gallagher finished with three points in four games against the Bruins this season.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 4
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 29
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 31
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)