Jun 12, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
Even though he’s a rookie, Brendan Gallagher understands the significance of the longstanding Montreal-Boston rivalry.
The Canadiens forward — who is one of the three finalists for this year’s Calder Trophy — told the Vancouver Sun that, despite his friendship with Bruins forward (and fellow ex-WHL Vancouver Giant) Milan Lucic, he doesn’t want to see Boston win the Stanley Cup.
“I mean, I’m happy for Lootch and I’m glad he’s doing well,” Gallagher said. “But I just don’t want to see Boston win.”
Gallagher, 21, finished the year on the rookie leaderboard in a number of key statistical categories: second in the league in shots (117), second in goals (tied), fourth in points (28) and fifth in plus-minus (plus-10).
He also thrust himself into the Habs-Bruins rivalry by scoring this dramatic game-tying goal in a late-March contest:
All told, Gallagher finished with three points in four games against the Bruins this season.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)