Jun 12, 2013, 7:06 PM EST
Game 1 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final will be underway soon (8:00 p.m. ET, NBC), but before the puck dropped, several politicians placed wagers on the outcome of this series.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick have agreed that the governor representing the losing team will help out at a food bank of the other governor’s choosing, according to CSN New England.
In other words, should the Blackhawks win, Patrick will spend some time at the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Quinn will volunteer at the Greater Boston Food Bank if the Bruins lift the Stanley Cup.
Rep. Mike Quigley of Illnois’ 5th District also has a wager going with Rep. Stephen Lynch of Massachusetts’ 8th district. In that one, it’s local goods that are at stake.
Quigley is promising Lynch Eli’s Cheesecake and Nuts on Clark should Boston win while Lynch is risking a case of Harpoon beer and Legal Sea Foods’ clam chowder. They’re both members of the bipartisan Congressional Hockey Caucus, which aims to expand hockey programs in the United States.
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 20
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 13
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)