Jun 12, 2013, 7:06 PM EST
Game 1 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final will be underway soon (8:00 p.m. ET, NBC), but before the puck dropped, several politicians placed wagers on the outcome of this series.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick have agreed that the governor representing the losing team will help out at a food bank of the other governor’s choosing, according to CSN New England.
In other words, should the Blackhawks win, Patrick will spend some time at the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Quinn will volunteer at the Greater Boston Food Bank if the Bruins lift the Stanley Cup.
Rep. Mike Quigley of Illnois’ 5th District also has a wager going with Rep. Stephen Lynch of Massachusetts’ 8th district. In that one, it’s local goods that are at stake.
Quigley is promising Lynch Eli’s Cheesecake and Nuts on Clark should Boston win while Lynch is risking a case of Harpoon beer and Legal Sea Foods’ clam chowder. They’re both members of the bipartisan Congressional Hockey Caucus, which aims to expand hockey programs in the United States.
- Report: Connolly suffers broken finger in Bruins practice 1
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 9
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)