Jun 12, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Game 1 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final will be underway soon (8:00 p.m. ET, NBC), but before the puck dropped, several politicians placed wagers on the outcome of this series.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick have agreed that the governor representing the losing team will help out at a food bank of the other governor’s choosing, according to CSN New England.
In other words, should the Blackhawks win, Patrick will spend some time at the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Quinn will volunteer at the Greater Boston Food Bank if the Bruins lift the Stanley Cup.
Rep. Mike Quigley of Illnois’ 5th District also has a wager going with Rep. Stephen Lynch of Massachusetts’ 8th district. In that one, it’s local goods that are at stake.
Quigley is promising Lynch Eli’s Cheesecake and Nuts on Clark should Boston win while Lynch is risking a case of Harpoon beer and Legal Sea Foods’ clam chowder. They’re both members of the bipartisan Congressional Hockey Caucus, which aims to expand hockey programs in the United States.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)