Jun 12, 2013, 7:06 PM EDT
Game 1 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final will be underway soon (8:00 p.m. ET, NBC), but before the puck dropped, several politicians placed wagers on the outcome of this series.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick have agreed that the governor representing the losing team will help out at a food bank of the other governor’s choosing, according to CSN New England.
In other words, should the Blackhawks win, Patrick will spend some time at the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Quinn will volunteer at the Greater Boston Food Bank if the Bruins lift the Stanley Cup.
Rep. Mike Quigley of Illnois’ 5th District also has a wager going with Rep. Stephen Lynch of Massachusetts’ 8th district. In that one, it’s local goods that are at stake.
Quigley is promising Lynch Eli’s Cheesecake and Nuts on Clark should Boston win while Lynch is risking a case of Harpoon beer and Legal Sea Foods’ clam chowder. They’re both members of the bipartisan Congressional Hockey Caucus, which aims to expand hockey programs in the United States.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)