Jun 12, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
“It’s going to be really interesting,” Hossa admitted to the media. “Obviously we are good friends. He’s my neighbor. He lives right across the street.
“But this coming up two weeks, that has to go on the side and we just have to play the roles. I’m going to play my game, he’s going to play his game. I’m sure right after we’ll be friends again.”
Hossa and Chara are both natives of Slovakia and former members of the Ottawa Senators.
“Yeah, we know each other for many years, from back home,” Chara said. “Obviously we cannot ignore that we know each other, we know the families. But we all know that right now our jobs are play for our teams and compete and do whatever it takes to win games.”
While each player will certainly put his team first once the puck drops, they definitely have a lot of respect for the other’s accomplishments. Chara demonstrated that when he was asked about the fact that this is Hossa’s fourth trip to the Stanley Cup Final in just six years.
“I’ve been saying that for many years. He’s one of the best players in the league,” Chara said.
“He’s unbelievable,” Hossa said, referring to Chara. “He’s one of the best defensemen. We know it’s going to be battle against him, but we have to find a way somehow to deal with him.”
If nothing else, one of them will win their second Stanley Cup soon.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 25
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 53
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)