Jun 12, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have given head coach Dan Bylsma a two-year contract extension that runs through the 2015-16 season, general manager Ray Shero announced today.
“I believe in Dan Bylsma and I believe in stability with our coaching staff,” Shero said in a release. “Dan is one of the top coaches in the NHL. His record speaks for itself. We fell short of our goal this year, and we’re all disappointed in that, but I believe – and our ownership believes – that Dan is the man to lead us into the future.”
The club also extended the contracts of assistant coaches Tony Granato and Todd Reirden.
Bylsma’s new deal comes after no shortage of speculation about his job security following the Penguins’ four-game loss to the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference Final.
The New York Rangers were one team that was believed to be waiting for the Penguins to decide on Bylsma’s future. Former Canucks coach Alain Vigneault and ex-Sabres bench boss Lindy Ruff remain among the favorites to replace John Tortorella.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 20
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)