Jun 12, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have given head coach Dan Bylsma a two-year contract extension that runs through the 2015-16 season, general manager Ray Shero announced today.
“I believe in Dan Bylsma and I believe in stability with our coaching staff,” Shero said in a release. “Dan is one of the top coaches in the NHL. His record speaks for itself. We fell short of our goal this year, and we’re all disappointed in that, but I believe – and our ownership believes – that Dan is the man to lead us into the future.”
The club also extended the contracts of assistant coaches Tony Granato and Todd Reirden.
Bylsma’s new deal comes after no shortage of speculation about his job security following the Penguins’ four-game loss to the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference Final.
The New York Rangers were one team that was believed to be waiting for the Penguins to decide on Bylsma’s future. Former Canucks coach Alain Vigneault and ex-Sabres bench boss Lindy Ruff remain among the favorites to replace John Tortorella.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)