Jun 12, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins have given head coach Dan Bylsma a two-year contract extension that runs through the 2015-16 season, general manager Ray Shero announced today.
“I believe in Dan Bylsma and I believe in stability with our coaching staff,” Shero said in a release. “Dan is one of the top coaches in the NHL. His record speaks for itself. We fell short of our goal this year, and we’re all disappointed in that, but I believe – and our ownership believes – that Dan is the man to lead us into the future.”
The club also extended the contracts of assistant coaches Tony Granato and Todd Reirden.
Bylsma’s new deal comes after no shortage of speculation about his job security following the Penguins’ four-game loss to the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference Final.
The New York Rangers were one team that was believed to be waiting for the Penguins to decide on Bylsma’s future. Former Canucks coach Alain Vigneault and ex-Sabres bench boss Lindy Ruff remain among the favorites to replace John Tortorella.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)