Seguin on Chara: ‘We call him a mutant’

Jun 11, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT

zdenocharacloseupgetty Getty Images

The Boston Bruins deserve tons of credit as a team for holding the Pittsburgh Penguins to two goals in four games. To some, Zdeno Chara was the main reason why.

Plenty of others might not have noticed how much of a difference-maker, but players from the Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks sang his praises to the Sporting News on Tuesday.

“We call him a mutant, just ’cause he does un-human-like things,” Tyler Seguin said. “A lot of times, I think he goes under the radar, and I think he doesn’t get as much credit for some of the little things he does. He buys into everything, being our captain and leader, and a true teammate.”

Chara won the Norris Trophy in 2009, but the award is often handed to blueliners who rack up points. Bruins head coach Claude Julien considers him that valuable season-in and season-out, though.

“Even when he didn’t get the mention in those top three, I said it before, he’s always been a Norris Trophy winner for us,” Julien said. “You have no idea what this guy does for a hockey club. The few times he’s been out of our lineup, you’ve seen a difference. That’s the impact that he has on our hockey club.”

The Bruins have been impressive – Tuukka Rask included – yet the 36-year-old defenseman guarding the goaltender might be the top reason people might choose Chicago over Boston.

1. pastabelly - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I don’t understand the last paragraph. The article says great things about Chara but concludes that he is the reason people are picking Chicago.

• chicagobtech - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Only thing I can think of is his age, but even that is suspect. No, this Blackhawks fan is rooting for the team on the strength of the ‘Hawks, not on any preceived weaknesses.

• tdrusher225 - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I think he meant to say Boston over Chicago, saying Chara is the #1 reason to pick Boston rather than Rask.

• thesportsjudge - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Haha, someone here, or anywhere picking the Bruins to win? This site has proven itself to have backed the (more) popular team.

• drone501 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM

you sure florio didn’t write this article.

2. pastabelly - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Nope, it’s probably poor editing.

I thought the Bruins would lose to NY and Pittsburgh. I am giving up on predictions.

3. bakedbees - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I think O’Brien flubbed his last three words and actually meant “Boston over Chicago”. Maybe a proof read guy?

4. econverse1987 - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Reblogged this on The Converse Hockey Blog and commented:
    I think this guy went biking for 20 miles the day after he won the cup in 2011. He is an athletic beast!

5. packerswin96 - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM

They should call him Mongo, not Mutant! #GoHawks

• habssuck - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Wait till you see what mongo does to your hawks…

• bakedbees - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:47 AM

hahaha!!! Uh oh, here comes Mongo

• savoirlaire - Jun 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Mongo but a pawn in the game of life…

6. amityvillefun - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Chara is always looked at for his impressive size, but his skills with the puck are very good as well. Plus, Pacioretty injury aside, the guy plays the game pretty clean. On any given hit he could LEVEL someone – dangerously so! But he doesn’t play to injure or play dirty, if he did, people would be going to the hospital every game!

He also takes a lot too. The refs tend to let the frustrated players slash him and hack him (see his nose from the high stick in the Pens series?), but if he did the same thing, he’d be thrown in the box or given a misconduct. The guy knows his size draws attention to him, and he plays accordingly.

Way to go Big Z! Lead the way to the promised land. Again!

“Yaaaahhhhhh! Yeaaaaaahhhhh!”

– Chara noise as he lifts Cup.

• spitfisher - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:04 AM

I agree, except the Paciority check was clean and legal, the end result was an accident after the fact. My post is not about that. he is well mannered and plays a very good and clean game, why he is booed in every rink in America and Canada – that I don’t understand other than ill informed fans…….or out of respect for him.

• nhloon - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

That was the weirdest noise, ahhhhhhh 2011.

7. itsallniceonice - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Always been on the fence with Chara. Great skater for his size, and an above average defenseman aided by his height/stick length. Very good but I always wondered how much was size or skill related.

It looked like age finally caught up with him this season but damn he’s been great this post season. He is showing what he is actually made of.

• jeff2000m - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM

If this if that…..and if crosby had no arms he wouldnt be the best player in the world. Regardless of charas size the guy is good….leave it at that u hater!

• atoj777 - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Seems unfair to call him a hater. He praises Chara 3 times. He makes a valid point. Chara is tallest player in the league, that gives him an advantage in a few different ways, not the least of which is reach. Reach is a very important aspect of a defenseman’s game. Is it all his size? No, neither itsallniceonice or I are saying that. We are simply wondering where the line of “skill” is.

It is not to take anything away from Chara, you can’t dispute what he does. It’s simply a “What If?” scenario to be played out in the mind and in a forum.

• savoirlaire - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

OK, he’s not necessarily a hater, but I don’t think a lot of informed hockey fans would say they are “on the fence” about Chara. It’s pretty undisputed, not only based on his record/reputation, but also his skating and stickwork, that he is a top tier defenseman. I certainly don’t love Crosby or Kane or Weber or Karlsson, but I would never say I am on the fence about their skills.

• savoirlaire - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Oh yeah, then there was this, from a couple of months ago…

“Chara tops Weber among best defensemen”

8. jeff2000m - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM

There u go with the “what if” again…..WHAT IF u werent a hater also? Let me guess, ur not a bruins fan? Haha…WHAT IF u were….u would be rooting for them tonight instead of watching the cup finals as just an ordinary hockey fan. Sucks to be u….go bruins!

• workerparasite - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Pffft…what if? What if I’m taking a shower and I slipped on a bar of soap? Oh my God, I’d be killed!

• itsallniceonice - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I’m a huge Bruins fan. If you didn’t just jump on the bandwagon here maybe you’d know that. Stop making Bruins fans look like morons, go root for the Red Sox.

9. miko702002 - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM

So then go take a shower workerparasite!!

Flyers have many concerns