Jun 11, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
There’s no doubting Winnipeg defenseman Dustin Byfuglien is a big guy. We saw him looking a bit bigger than normal in September at former teammate Dave Bolland‘s wedding. The summer before that saw him arrested for drunken boating and weighing in at over 280 pounds.
Fast-forward to today where the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless opines about Byfuglien weighing in at 302 pounds at the end of this season. Lawless says GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has a harder job to do now because Big Buff won’t stay slim.
No, the Jets can’t dump Byfuglien on someone else’s lap unless they are willing to accept a deep discount on the return. Not now.
Cheveldayoff’s best bet is to turn the trick no one has been able to — that’s to somehow reach Byfuglien and get him into shape and playing a more disciplined game.
The validity of that number is in doubt, however, as Lawless cites Hockeybuzz.com’s Pete Tessier as the source of the information. That site’s reputation isn’t exactly pristine when it comes to information but Lawless puts himself on the line to back him up.
That said, if Jets management isn’t aware that this is how things go for Byfuglien (bulks up in the offseason, gets in shape during it) then perhaps they need to move him just to spare themselves of frustration. As it is, Cheveldayoff and the Jets might not have to look so hard to find a team willing to add a player of his talent.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:09 PM EST
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Team Foligno running away with this.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:21 PM EST
That’s an all-time screencap right there.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Team Foligno sweeps first competition.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:09 PM EST
Johnny Hockey gets the nod.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST
Has gone from forward to defense, back to forward and back to defense.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
He’s ranked fourth in Central Scouting’s mid-term rankings.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:23 PM EST
Bragging rights on the line.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:21 PM EST
And what will the team look like?
Jan 24, 2015, 4:55 PM EST
It’s expected to be around $71.6 million to $72.2 million for the 2015-16 season.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:09 PM EST
Slovenia’s (and Los Angeles’) Anze Kopitar figures to play a prominent role.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:02 PM EST
Will fans care? Is it fair?
Jan 24, 2015, 2:34 PM EST
“People are intrigued by this. There are going to be great storylines.”
Jan 24, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
Gillette Stadium, TCF Bank Stadium and Coors Field will play hosts
Jan 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
It all gets going at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Jan 24, 2015, 12:46 PM EST
“Again, I’ll repeat that for this team to be even remotely close to missing the playoffs isn’t something we can be happy about.”
Jan 24, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
The 21-year-old is learning what it takes to be an NHL regular.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)