Jun 11, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
There’s no doubting Winnipeg defenseman Dustin Byfuglien is a big guy. We saw him looking a bit bigger than normal in September at former teammate Dave Bolland‘s wedding. The summer before that saw him arrested for drunken boating and weighing in at over 280 pounds.
Fast-forward to today where the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless opines about Byfuglien weighing in at 302 pounds at the end of this season. Lawless says GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has a harder job to do now because Big Buff won’t stay slim.
No, the Jets can’t dump Byfuglien on someone else’s lap unless they are willing to accept a deep discount on the return. Not now.
Cheveldayoff’s best bet is to turn the trick no one has been able to — that’s to somehow reach Byfuglien and get him into shape and playing a more disciplined game.
The validity of that number is in doubt, however, as Lawless cites Hockeybuzz.com’s Pete Tessier as the source of the information. That site’s reputation isn’t exactly pristine when it comes to information but Lawless puts himself on the line to back him up.
That said, if Jets management isn’t aware that this is how things go for Byfuglien (bulks up in the offseason, gets in shape during it) then perhaps they need to move him just to spare themselves of frustration. As it is, Cheveldayoff and the Jets might not have to look so hard to find a team willing to add a player of his talent.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
Veteran forward heads overseas after appearing in 600-plus NHL contests.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s got plenty of potential, but he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
His first game against Boston is scheduled for Feb. 9.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
The start of his rookie campaign is approaching.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Who will take advantage of the opening?
Aug 31, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The two have previously played together on the Czech national team.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Former coach Jeff Daniels is also staying within the organization after being relieved of his AHL coaching duties.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Looking to score an AHL deal.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
You can expect this question to be asked throughout the year.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)