Jun 11, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
There’s no doubting Winnipeg defenseman Dustin Byfuglien is a big guy. We saw him looking a bit bigger than normal in September at former teammate Dave Bolland‘s wedding. The summer before that saw him arrested for drunken boating and weighing in at over 280 pounds.
Fast-forward to today where the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless opines about Byfuglien weighing in at 302 pounds at the end of this season. Lawless says GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has a harder job to do now because Big Buff won’t stay slim.
No, the Jets can’t dump Byfuglien on someone else’s lap unless they are willing to accept a deep discount on the return. Not now.
Cheveldayoff’s best bet is to turn the trick no one has been able to — that’s to somehow reach Byfuglien and get him into shape and playing a more disciplined game.
The validity of that number is in doubt, however, as Lawless cites Hockeybuzz.com’s Pete Tessier as the source of the information. That site’s reputation isn’t exactly pristine when it comes to information but Lawless puts himself on the line to back him up.
That said, if Jets management isn’t aware that this is how things go for Byfuglien (bulks up in the offseason, gets in shape during it) then perhaps they need to move him just to spare themselves of frustration. As it is, Cheveldayoff and the Jets might not have to look so hard to find a team willing to add a player of his talent.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
Bit of a shakeup in Ottawa.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:39 AM EST
He was injured on a hit by fellow Tampa Bay prospect Adam Erne.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
He could be back in the lineup next week.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
They’ve dug themselves a big hole early on.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
That and all the links you need to start the day.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:15 AM EST
Perhaps up to $71 million for next season.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)