Jun 11, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
There’s no doubting Winnipeg defenseman Dustin Byfuglien is a big guy. We saw him looking a bit bigger than normal in September at former teammate Dave Bolland‘s wedding. The summer before that saw him arrested for drunken boating and weighing in at over 280 pounds.
Fast-forward to today where the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless opines about Byfuglien weighing in at 302 pounds at the end of this season. Lawless says GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has a harder job to do now because Big Buff won’t stay slim.
No, the Jets can’t dump Byfuglien on someone else’s lap unless they are willing to accept a deep discount on the return. Not now.
Cheveldayoff’s best bet is to turn the trick no one has been able to — that’s to somehow reach Byfuglien and get him into shape and playing a more disciplined game.
The validity of that number is in doubt, however, as Lawless cites Hockeybuzz.com’s Pete Tessier as the source of the information. That site’s reputation isn’t exactly pristine when it comes to information but Lawless puts himself on the line to back him up.
That said, if Jets management isn’t aware that this is how things go for Byfuglien (bulks up in the offseason, gets in shape during it) then perhaps they need to move him just to spare themselves of frustration. As it is, Cheveldayoff and the Jets might not have to look so hard to find a team willing to add a player of his talent.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
He was injured on Oct. 16.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
No. 8 was having a bit of a difficult night.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Big win for Philly after getting beat bad in Chicago on Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Last shift came in the first period.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Little bit of history here.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Milbury doesn’t understand why the Pens would extend him.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Tremendous gesture from the Penguins organization.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
NHL Insider joined Kathryn Tappen live in studio.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Blueliner’s had zero luck in the health department.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Two teams that, how should we say, care not for one another.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
“We had no choice but to.”
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
He won’t travel with the club for its upcoming three-game road swing through Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)