Man has ‘playoff lawn beard’ to support Blackhawks

Jun 11, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT

Patrick Sharp #10 of the Chicago Blackhawks looks on in the first period of Game Three of the Western Conference Final against the Los Angeles Kings during the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Staples Center on June 4, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.
(June 3, 2013 - Source: Harry How/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Growing a playoff beard is nothing new, but Frank Miller decided to take that concept and apply it to a bigger scale. He has vowed not to cut his lawn during the Chicago Blackhawks’ playoff run, according to NBC Chicago.

“Everybody drives by and beeps at it. People stop and take pictures. It’s awesome,” Miller said.

It hasn’t all been good times though. Miller’s lawn has faced its fair share of adversity during the 2013 postseason.

Miller recounts, “I was watching the playoffs one night with my son and hear a lawn mower going off, and I come outside, ‘What are you doing?’ The guy was cutting my lawn with a giant industrial-sized mower, and he said that the city had come and paid him to cut my lawn.”

Just as the Blackhawks did against Detroit, Miller’s lawn has bounced back and is in shape for the finals.

1. axisofweasels - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

im not cutting my lawn to support hockey… yeah thats it.

2. atoj777 - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

This man is a genius… I’m making my “Playoff Lawn – Wont cut until the Maple Leafs win the Cup!” sign right now! I’ll never have to mow again!

• ibieiniid - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM

add Blue Jays and you’ll make it through the MLB regular season as well.

3. jpelle82 - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

lazy

4. hone99 - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I think it’s great. For those idiots calling him lazy, how often do you really have to mow your lawn in May and early June in the Midwest anyway? He put up a sign, indicating it was only temporary. The city had no right to come in and do it for him. All in good fun, until someone comes in to spoil it.

• chicagobtech - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM

A lot of villages around here have ordnances that limit how tall grass can get. And yes, those same ordnances not only allow the city to come in and mow, but they can turn around and charge the home owner for the (unwanted) services rendered.

That said, there are usually a few rounds of warnings that are sent out. It isn’t a matter of a roving lawn maintenance crew measuring grass in the wee hours. The village was most likely informed by a neighbor’s complaint, and after looking at the picture in the embedded article I can see why. The lawn grew in a rather uneven manner, it is unsightly.

• jpelle82 - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

if its not lazy, what is it? a desperate cry for attention? he accomplished that at least

• comeonnowguys - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

It’s been a wet spring, so it’s been shaggy by the end of the week.

It’s August where you can kick back every other weekend.

5. 2qswing - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM

What a great idea.
    Honey I just want you to know I am not cutting the lawn, cleaning the garage, trimming the hedges, taking out the garbage, washing the car, fixing the broken handle on the dryer, spreading mulch, replacing the mailbox, painting the front bedroom, picking up your annoying sister at the airport, emptying the dishwasher …
    until the Hawks win the cup

6. scaarepittschamberofcommerce - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

@hone99: we’ve been mowing our lawn since like, the end of March. so by the time April or may rolls around its usually weekly at that point.

7. Habib Marwan - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM

he’s going to need a bush hog to clear that out , there’s no weed whacker that’s sturdy enough to handle that mess

8. LoyalFan34yrsGoKings - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM

My girlfriend was thinking bout doing something like that. But different.. Besides that I’m still bummed my team got eliminated. Go figure…

9. nepo784 - Jun 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Didn’t know they had lawns in Chicago…

• Lyssa - Jun 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Its Park Ridge so its a burb an hour outside Chicago

• chicagobtech - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Park Ridge shares a border with Chicago. You make it sound like it’s out by Naperville, Tinley Park, or Gurnee.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches