Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
The Hockey Hall of Fame announced their annual media honorees and the 2013 class is a good one.
This year’s Foster Hewitt Award winner for excellence in broadcasting is former Hockey Night in Canada color man and current Sabres broadcaster Harry Neale. After coaching for over 20 years, he moved on to broadcasting in 1986 where he took a seat next to CBC legend Bob Cole. Now, he calls games alongside last year’s Hewitt honoree Rick Jeanneret in Buffalo to form one of the most experienced booths on television.
Joining him this year is Philadelphia reporter and columnist Jay Greenberg as the Elmer Ferguson Award winner for excellence in hockey journalism. He began his career covering the expansion Kansas City Scouts in the 1970s but really made his mark as the beat writer for the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1980s.
For 14 years, he provided some of the best writing and insight on Philadelphia’s beloved team and carved out an unforgettable legacy of his own over his now 40-year career in hockey. He has also written for Sports Illustrated, The Hockey News, the New York Post, and Toronto Sun.
Both men will be honored on November 11th at the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)