Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
The Hockey Hall of Fame announced their annual media honorees and the 2013 class is a good one.
This year’s Foster Hewitt Award winner for excellence in broadcasting is former Hockey Night in Canada color man and current Sabres broadcaster Harry Neale. After coaching for over 20 years, he moved on to broadcasting in 1986 where he took a seat next to CBC legend Bob Cole. Now, he calls games alongside last year’s Hewitt honoree Rick Jeanneret in Buffalo to form one of the most experienced booths on television.
Joining him this year is Philadelphia reporter and columnist Jay Greenberg as the Elmer Ferguson Award winner for excellence in hockey journalism. He began his career covering the expansion Kansas City Scouts in the 1970s but really made his mark as the beat writer for the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1980s.
For 14 years, he provided some of the best writing and insight on Philadelphia’s beloved team and carved out an unforgettable legacy of his own over his now 40-year career in hockey. He has also written for Sports Illustrated, The Hockey News, the New York Post, and Toronto Sun.
Both men will be honored on November 11th at the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 25
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 12
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)