Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
The Hockey Hall of Fame announced their annual media honorees and the 2013 class is a good one.
This year’s Foster Hewitt Award winner for excellence in broadcasting is former Hockey Night in Canada color man and current Sabres broadcaster Harry Neale. After coaching for over 20 years, he moved on to broadcasting in 1986 where he took a seat next to CBC legend Bob Cole. Now, he calls games alongside last year’s Hewitt honoree Rick Jeanneret in Buffalo to form one of the most experienced booths on television.
Joining him this year is Philadelphia reporter and columnist Jay Greenberg as the Elmer Ferguson Award winner for excellence in hockey journalism. He began his career covering the expansion Kansas City Scouts in the 1970s but really made his mark as the beat writer for the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1980s.
For 14 years, he provided some of the best writing and insight on Philadelphia’s beloved team and carved out an unforgettable legacy of his own over his now 40-year career in hockey. He has also written for Sports Illustrated, The Hockey News, the New York Post, and Toronto Sun.
Both men will be honored on November 11th at the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 33
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 31
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)