Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
The Hockey Hall of Fame announced their annual media honorees and the 2013 class is a good one.
This year’s Foster Hewitt Award winner for excellence in broadcasting is former Hockey Night in Canada color man and current Sabres broadcaster Harry Neale. After coaching for over 20 years, he moved on to broadcasting in 1986 where he took a seat next to CBC legend Bob Cole. Now, he calls games alongside last year’s Hewitt honoree Rick Jeanneret in Buffalo to form one of the most experienced booths on television.
Joining him this year is Philadelphia reporter and columnist Jay Greenberg as the Elmer Ferguson Award winner for excellence in hockey journalism. He began his career covering the expansion Kansas City Scouts in the 1970s but really made his mark as the beat writer for the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1980s.
For 14 years, he provided some of the best writing and insight on Philadelphia’s beloved team and carved out an unforgettable legacy of his own over his now 40-year career in hockey. He has also written for Sports Illustrated, The Hockey News, the New York Post, and Toronto Sun.
Both men will be honored on November 11th at the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)