Jun 11, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
The Hockey Hall of Fame announced their annual media honorees and the 2013 class is a good one.
This year’s Foster Hewitt Award winner for excellence in broadcasting is former Hockey Night in Canada color man and current Sabres broadcaster Harry Neale. After coaching for over 20 years, he moved on to broadcasting in 1986 where he took a seat next to CBC legend Bob Cole. Now, he calls games alongside last year’s Hewitt honoree Rick Jeanneret in Buffalo to form one of the most experienced booths on television.
Joining him this year is Philadelphia reporter and columnist Jay Greenberg as the Elmer Ferguson Award winner for excellence in hockey journalism. He began his career covering the expansion Kansas City Scouts in the 1970s but really made his mark as the beat writer for the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1980s.
For 14 years, he provided some of the best writing and insight on Philadelphia’s beloved team and carved out an unforgettable legacy of his own over his now 40-year career in hockey. He has also written for Sports Illustrated, The Hockey News, the New York Post, and Toronto Sun.
Both men will be honored on November 11th at the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)