Jun 11, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Kladno of the Czech Republic has produced quite a few NHL players, but none have enjoyed more success than Jaromir Jagr.
Chicago Blackhawks forward Michael Frolik is another native of Kladno and spent his youth idolizing the hometown hero as he worked to someday follow in Jagr’s footsteps.
“Right now we know the Cup will be going to my hometown, so that’s a good thing,” Frolik told CSN Chicago.
Frolik first made it to the Czech League’s Kladno during the 2004-05 NHL lockout. That’s the only time the two players appeared on the same team roster. However, Frolik gained the nickname “The Baby Jagr” during his brief tenure with Kladno and initially wore Jagr’s number when he attended the Florida Panthers’ rookie camp.
Now Frolik has 349 career NHL games under his belt, although he’s still over 1,000 contests behind Jagr.
“It’s kind of unbelievable he’s still playing at this level,” Frolik said. “He’s a great player and he proved it (over) so many years. Even now he’s pretty great and we have to be careful with him.”
Jagr isn’t Frolik’s only connection to the Boston Bruins. He’s also familiar with fellow Czech forward David Krejci.
“I played with Krejci in (juniors) one year in the same line so I’m very familiar with him and I know he’s a very good skill player,” Frolik said, referencing their time together with the QMJHL Gatineau Olympiques.
Although Chicago won the Stanley Cup in 2010, Frolik wasn’t a part of that squad. This is an opportunity for him to lift the trophy for the first time — but he’ll have to best his idol to do it.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)