Jun 11, 2013, 8:16 AM EDT
June 2. That’s the last time the Chicago Blackhawks or Boston Bruins scored a single power-play goal. If that doesn’t seem remarkable, consider this: These two teams crushed their Conference finals opponents while combining to convert on just one of their 27 power-play opportunities.
Clearly, they were able to overcome this issue, but going into a series as even as this one, being the more successful team with the man advantage would be huge.
Although neither team has traditionally been this bad, power-play problems are nothing new for the Bruins. They ranked 26th in that regard during the regular season and when they won it all in 2011, they had an abysmal 11.4% success rate with the man advantage.
To make matters worse for Boston, the Chicago Blackhawks have been among of the most effective penalties killers all year.
“I think they do a good job of fronting shots,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told CBC Sports in reference to the Blackhawks’ penalty killers. “You really have to work hard to get the shots through. That’s what they are, they’re very patient; they’re very aggressive when you do lose, I guess, control of the puck and if they feel they can get on you, they’ll get on you quick. They’ve done a good job that way.”
So while the Bruins have nowhere to go but up, the odds are against them when it comes to excelling in power-play situations.
The outlook might not be as grim for Chicago. The Blackhawks were mediocre with the man advantage this season, which puts them above Boston in that regard. Boston is accomplished when it comes to killing penalties, but — aside from obviously Marc Savard (concussion) — the only noteworthy player on either team that’s injured happens to be forward Gregory Campbell, who was one of the Bruins’ top penalty killers.
“It just means some other guys have to step in and do the job,” Julien said. “[Campbell] is an elite penalty killer for us. Like anything else, when you lose a player like that it certainly hurts your team. But at the same time, there’s also guys that come up and step up and do a great job just like our young Ds did when our three Ds were hurt.”
In the end, with two squads that are cold in power-play situations and superb shorthanded, it wouldn’t be surprising if neither team is able to frequently punish the opposition for taking penalties.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 24
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (70)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)