Jun 11, 2013, 8:16 AM EDT
June 2. That’s the last time the Chicago Blackhawks or Boston Bruins scored a single power-play goal. If that doesn’t seem remarkable, consider this: These two teams crushed their Conference finals opponents while combining to convert on just one of their 27 power-play opportunities.
Clearly, they were able to overcome this issue, but going into a series as even as this one, being the more successful team with the man advantage would be huge.
Although neither team has traditionally been this bad, power-play problems are nothing new for the Bruins. They ranked 26th in that regard during the regular season and when they won it all in 2011, they had an abysmal 11.4% success rate with the man advantage.
To make matters worse for Boston, the Chicago Blackhawks have been among of the most effective penalties killers all year.
“I think they do a good job of fronting shots,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told CBC Sports in reference to the Blackhawks’ penalty killers. “You really have to work hard to get the shots through. That’s what they are, they’re very patient; they’re very aggressive when you do lose, I guess, control of the puck and if they feel they can get on you, they’ll get on you quick. They’ve done a good job that way.”
So while the Bruins have nowhere to go but up, the odds are against them when it comes to excelling in power-play situations.
The outlook might not be as grim for Chicago. The Blackhawks were mediocre with the man advantage this season, which puts them above Boston in that regard. Boston is accomplished when it comes to killing penalties, but — aside from obviously Marc Savard (concussion) — the only noteworthy player on either team that’s injured happens to be forward Gregory Campbell, who was one of the Bruins’ top penalty killers.
“It just means some other guys have to step in and do the job,” Julien said. “[Campbell] is an elite penalty killer for us. Like anything else, when you lose a player like that it certainly hurts your team. But at the same time, there’s also guys that come up and step up and do a great job just like our young Ds did when our three Ds were hurt.”
In the end, with two squads that are cold in power-play situations and superb shorthanded, it wouldn’t be surprising if neither team is able to frequently punish the opposition for taking penalties.
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
He played just eight shifts in Sunday’s win.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)