Jun 10, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
On Monday, Kypreos tweeted that “confirmed word out of Montreal” is Subban will be awarded the trophy during the Stanley Cup finals, which get underway this Wednesday at Chicago’s United Center.
Subban, 23, earned his first-ever Norris nomination this season by tying a career-high with 38 points in 42 games — the same number of points he registered two seasons ago over the course of 71 games.
One of the major reasons for his nomination was noted improvement to his defensive game. Subban went from a minus player his first year in the league to plus-12 this season, the highest total of his career.
His emergence as a bonafide No. 1 defenseman also spurred Montreal to a great turnaround season. The Habs finished dead last in the Eastern Conference last year but captured the No. 2 seed this season, winning the Northeast Division for the first time since 2008.
If Kypreo’s report holds accurate, Subban will be the first Habs defenseman to win the award since Chris Chelios, and will join Hockey Hall of Famers Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, Tom Johnson and Doug Harvey as Montreal defensemen to win the award.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)