Jun 10, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
On Monday, Kypreos tweeted that “confirmed word out of Montreal” is Subban will be awarded the trophy during the Stanley Cup finals, which get underway this Wednesday at Chicago’s United Center.
Subban, 23, earned his first-ever Norris nomination this season by tying a career-high with 38 points in 42 games — the same number of points he registered two seasons ago over the course of 71 games.
One of the major reasons for his nomination was noted improvement to his defensive game. Subban went from a minus player his first year in the league to plus-12 this season, the highest total of his career.
His emergence as a bonafide No. 1 defenseman also spurred Montreal to a great turnaround season. The Habs finished dead last in the Eastern Conference last year but captured the No. 2 seed this season, winning the Northeast Division for the first time since 2008.
If Kypreo’s report holds accurate, Subban will be the first Habs defenseman to win the award since Chris Chelios, and will join Hockey Hall of Famers Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, Tom Johnson and Doug Harvey as Montreal defensemen to win the award.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)