Jun 10, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
On Monday, Kypreos tweeted that “confirmed word out of Montreal” is Subban will be awarded the trophy during the Stanley Cup finals, which get underway this Wednesday at Chicago’s United Center.
Subban, 23, earned his first-ever Norris nomination this season by tying a career-high with 38 points in 42 games — the same number of points he registered two seasons ago over the course of 71 games.
One of the major reasons for his nomination was noted improvement to his defensive game. Subban went from a minus player his first year in the league to plus-12 this season, the highest total of his career.
His emergence as a bonafide No. 1 defenseman also spurred Montreal to a great turnaround season. The Habs finished dead last in the Eastern Conference last year but captured the No. 2 seed this season, winning the Northeast Division for the first time since 2008.
If Kypreo’s report holds accurate, Subban will be the first Habs defenseman to win the award since Chris Chelios, and will join Hockey Hall of Famers Larry Robinson, Jacques Laperriere, Tom Johnson and Doug Harvey as Montreal defensemen to win the award.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (46)