Jun 10, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Maybe, just maybe.
The Dallas Stars are reportedly showing interest in John Tortorella for their vacant head coaching position, according to a source of ESPN New York.
Tortorella, 54, was fired by the Rangers two weeks ago after a second-round playoff exit to Boston.
There’s not much linking Tortorella to the Stars franchise. He’s coached almost exclusively in the Eastern Conference over his 23-year NHL career — save a brief two-season stop with the Phoenix Coyotes in the late ’90s — and doesn’t appear to have much of a past working relationship with any of the Stars brass.
That said, new Dallas GM Jim Nill promised an exhaustive, thorough search to find his next head coach, so kicking the tires on Tortorella could simply be part of the process.
Tortorella is still being paid by the Rangers — he signed a contract extension during the ’13 regular season — so it’s expected that New York won’t stand in his way should he want to pursue a new job.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)