Jun 10, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
What would you make of Jonathan Quick‘s efforts in 2013?
He was inconsistent for most of the regular season, but he did get better towards the end and then truly broke out in the playoffs. At the same time, the Kings couldn’t get much done offensively in the postseason and thus had to rely on him to be near flawless to win — which he wasn’t against Chicago in the Western Conference finals.
When asked to evaluate his own season, he seemed to regard it as, at best, a mixed bag.
“It wasn’t good enough, obviously,” Quick told LA Kings Insider. “I wasn’t very good throughout the regular season. I got a little better later in the season. I played pretty good hockey for a couple rounds, and then I feel like it was a big letdown this past series. Obviously that feeling of underperforming the past five games is going to kind of sit with me for a while.
“You’re going to think about that all summer and for most of the off-season. Leading up to camp you’ll start to think about next season. So where I go from there, you feel that sting for a little bit and you take a week or two to rest and recover and then you get back at it.”
One thing Quick wanted to make clear is that his offseason back surgery wasn’t an issue at any point during this campaign.
“If I felt I wasn’t a hundred percent in January, I would’ve told the coach and I wouldn’t have been playing,” Quick said.
2013-14 marks the start of the 27-year-old’s 10-year, $58,000,000 contract. A deal of that length is a gamble to give to a goaltender regardless of his previous accomplishments, but Quick certainly does have an impressive history of success.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 9
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)