Jun 10, 2013, 12:43 AM EDT
The streak continues.
Not since the late 1990s, when the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in 1997 and again in 1998, has their been a repeat champion in the National Hockey League.
The L.A. Kings, last year’s Stanley Cup winner after going through four different opponents like a hot knife through butter, were eliminated in this year’s Western Conference final by the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday.
The joy of winning the chalice last year has been replaced by the agony of defeat.
“You’re almost frozen. There’s so much going through your head, there’s nothing going through your head. … It’s almost like you don’t know what you’ve lost until it’s gone — or whatever that saying is — until you’ve experienced it,” said Kings general manager Dean Lombardi during a conference call Sunday, as per the L.A. Times.
“You can’t condone losing — you never want to do that — but I have to condone their sense of honor.
“They didn’t quit. They fought through and given the history of it, they deserve to be commended for what they did accomplish.”
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 0
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 9
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)