Jun 10, 2013, 12:43 AM EDT
The streak continues.
Not since the late 1990s, when the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup in 1997 and again in 1998, has their been a repeat champion in the National Hockey League.
The L.A. Kings, last year’s Stanley Cup winner after going through four different opponents like a hot knife through butter, were eliminated in this year’s Western Conference final by the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday.
The joy of winning the chalice last year has been replaced by the agony of defeat.
“You’re almost frozen. There’s so much going through your head, there’s nothing going through your head. … It’s almost like you don’t know what you’ve lost until it’s gone — or whatever that saying is — until you’ve experienced it,” said Kings general manager Dean Lombardi during a conference call Sunday, as per the L.A. Times.
“You can’t condone losing — you never want to do that — but I have to condone their sense of honor.
“They didn’t quit. They fought through and given the history of it, they deserve to be commended for what they did accomplish.”
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 27
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)