Jun 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
This summer promises to be a busy one for Blues GM Doug Armstrong, as he’ll negotiate with four key restricted free agents — defensemen Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk, and forwards Patrik Berglund and Chris Stewart.
And, Armstrong wants to make one thing clear — he won’t let any of them leave via an offer sheet.
“Offer sheets aren’t a concern,” Armstrong told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “It’s part of the business and you know that they’re there.
“Nothing in an offer sheet is going to be that much crazier than we’re willing to spend anyway.”
St. Louis has approximately $41 million locked into 16 players for next season. So, the Blues have money — nearly $23 million — to spend on the quartet of RFAs.
Assuming they spend to the cap.
Of the four, it’s been rumored that Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk would be the two most likely to receive offer sheets. Young, high-end defensemen are in great demand and a team looking to make a splash could up the ante for either guy.
Pietrangelo, 23, had 24 points in 47 games this year and finished fourth in Norris Trophy voting a year ago.
Shattenkirk, 24, had 23 points in 48 games this year and finished 18th in Norris Trophy voting a year ago.
It’s worth noting the Blues have over $12 million locked into defensemen Jay Bouwmeester, Barret Jackman and Roman Polak for next season, though Bouwmeester accounts for the majority of that ($6.6 million) and is off the books at the end of 2013-14.
Regardless, Armstrong doesn’t seen any of that affecting how he’ll approach his restricted free agents.
“We’re going to want it the way we think is proper for the St. Louis Blues,” he explained. “If there’s an offer sheet there, we’re very content with where we are with the NHL salary cap, we’re going to be able to match any offer and we will.
“These are core players that we’re not going to let go.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)