Jun 9, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
Goaltending wasn’t a particularly strong aspect of the Pittsburgh Penguins during these Stanley Cup playoffs, and that might cost someone his job.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Penguins goalie coach Gilles Meloche is expected to formally resign his position this week.
Meloche has been the goalie coach in Pittsburgh for seven seasons.
This year marked the second consecutive post-season in which Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, the team’s first-round, first overall pick from the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, melted down.
In 2012, he struggled mightily against the Philadelphia Flyers.
In 2013, he started four games against the New York Islanders in the opening round, but relinquished his No. 1 role to Tomas Vokoun after allowing 14 goals, and the two teams had battled to 2-2 in the best-of-seven series.
“Sometimes, you start thinking a little more when you really want to win,” Fleury told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Vokoun completely took over the starting duties and was in net for the Game 4 loss to the Boston Bruins, as the Penguins bowed out of the Eastern Conference final in a sweep.
On Sunday, Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma gave Fleury a sudden vote of confidence.
Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)