Jun 9, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
Goaltending wasn’t a particularly strong aspect of the Pittsburgh Penguins during these Stanley Cup playoffs, and that might cost someone his job.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Penguins goalie coach Gilles Meloche is expected to formally resign his position this week.
Meloche has been the goalie coach in Pittsburgh for seven seasons.
This year marked the second consecutive post-season in which Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, the team’s first-round, first overall pick from the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, melted down.
In 2012, he struggled mightily against the Philadelphia Flyers.
In 2013, he started four games against the New York Islanders in the opening round, but relinquished his No. 1 role to Tomas Vokoun after allowing 14 goals, and the two teams had battled to 2-2 in the best-of-seven series.
“Sometimes, you start thinking a little more when you really want to win,” Fleury told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Vokoun completely took over the starting duties and was in net for the Game 4 loss to the Boston Bruins, as the Penguins bowed out of the Eastern Conference final in a sweep.
On Sunday, Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma gave Fleury a sudden vote of confidence.
Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)