Jun 9, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
Goaltending wasn’t a particularly strong aspect of the Pittsburgh Penguins during these Stanley Cup playoffs, and that might cost someone his job.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Penguins goalie coach Gilles Meloche is expected to formally resign his position this week.
Meloche has been the goalie coach in Pittsburgh for seven seasons.
This year marked the second consecutive post-season in which Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, the team’s first-round, first overall pick from the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, melted down.
In 2012, he struggled mightily against the Philadelphia Flyers.
In 2013, he started four games against the New York Islanders in the opening round, but relinquished his No. 1 role to Tomas Vokoun after allowing 14 goals, and the two teams had battled to 2-2 in the best-of-seven series.
“Sometimes, you start thinking a little more when you really want to win,” Fleury told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Vokoun completely took over the starting duties and was in net for the Game 4 loss to the Boston Bruins, as the Penguins bowed out of the Eastern Conference final in a sweep.
On Sunday, Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma gave Fleury a sudden vote of confidence.
Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)