Jun 9, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
Goaltending wasn’t a particularly strong aspect of the Pittsburgh Penguins during these Stanley Cup playoffs, and that might cost someone his job.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Penguins goalie coach Gilles Meloche is expected to formally resign his position this week.
Meloche has been the goalie coach in Pittsburgh for seven seasons.
This year marked the second consecutive post-season in which Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, the team’s first-round, first overall pick from the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, melted down.
In 2012, he struggled mightily against the Philadelphia Flyers.
In 2013, he started four games against the New York Islanders in the opening round, but relinquished his No. 1 role to Tomas Vokoun after allowing 14 goals, and the two teams had battled to 2-2 in the best-of-seven series.
“Sometimes, you start thinking a little more when you really want to win,” Fleury told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Vokoun completely took over the starting duties and was in net for the Game 4 loss to the Boston Bruins, as the Penguins bowed out of the Eastern Conference final in a sweep.
On Sunday, Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma gave Fleury a sudden vote of confidence.
Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)