Jun 9, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
Goaltending wasn’t a particularly strong aspect of the Pittsburgh Penguins during these Stanley Cup playoffs, and that might cost someone his job.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Penguins goalie coach Gilles Meloche is expected to formally resign his position this week.
Meloche has been the goalie coach in Pittsburgh for seven seasons.
This year marked the second consecutive post-season in which Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, the team’s first-round, first overall pick from the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, melted down.
In 2012, he struggled mightily against the Philadelphia Flyers.
In 2013, he started four games against the New York Islanders in the opening round, but relinquished his No. 1 role to Tomas Vokoun after allowing 14 goals, and the two teams had battled to 2-2 in the best-of-seven series.
“Sometimes, you start thinking a little more when you really want to win,” Fleury told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Vokoun completely took over the starting duties and was in net for the Game 4 loss to the Boston Bruins, as the Penguins bowed out of the Eastern Conference final in a sweep.
On Sunday, Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma gave Fleury a sudden vote of confidence.
Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 10
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)