Jun 9, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins are looking to sign Evgeni Malkin to a long-term contract, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
According to the report, general manager Ray Shero will begin negotiating with Malkin’s agent, J.P. Barry, this week.
Malkin, the Penguins’ first-round pick, second overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has 217 goals and 560 points in 458 career regular season games for Pittsburgh.
Malkin’s name has recently been linked to trade talk, as the Penguins faded in the Eastern Conference final and were eventually swept by the Boston Bruins.
Malkin is set to enter the final year of a five-year, $43.5 million contract, according to Capgeek.com, and has a no-movement clause that kicks in for the 2013-14 season.
This news comes on the same as talk about Pascal Dupuis and his future with the Penguins.
Dupuis is an unrestricted free agent this summer, but said, “Obviously, I want to stay a Pittsburgh Penguin.
“I’ve said before, my wife and my kids love it around here. I have friends away from the hockey world that I want to be part of their life still.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)