Jun 9, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are looking to sign Evgeni Malkin to a long-term contract, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
According to the report, general manager Ray Shero will begin negotiating with Malkin’s agent, J.P. Barry, this week.
Malkin, the Penguins’ first-round pick, second overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has 217 goals and 560 points in 458 career regular season games for Pittsburgh.
Malkin’s name has recently been linked to trade talk, as the Penguins faded in the Eastern Conference final and were eventually swept by the Boston Bruins.
Malkin is set to enter the final year of a five-year, $43.5 million contract, according to Capgeek.com, and has a no-movement clause that kicks in for the 2013-14 season.
This news comes on the same as talk about Pascal Dupuis and his future with the Penguins.
Dupuis is an unrestricted free agent this summer, but said, “Obviously, I want to stay a Pittsburgh Penguin.
“I’ve said before, my wife and my kids love it around here. I have friends away from the hockey world that I want to be part of their life still.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)