Jun 9, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are looking to sign Evgeni Malkin to a long-term contract, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
According to the report, general manager Ray Shero will begin negotiating with Malkin’s agent, J.P. Barry, this week.
Malkin, the Penguins’ first-round pick, second overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has 217 goals and 560 points in 458 career regular season games for Pittsburgh.
Malkin’s name has recently been linked to trade talk, as the Penguins faded in the Eastern Conference final and were eventually swept by the Boston Bruins.
Malkin is set to enter the final year of a five-year, $43.5 million contract, according to Capgeek.com, and has a no-movement clause that kicks in for the 2013-14 season.
This news comes on the same as talk about Pascal Dupuis and his future with the Penguins.
Dupuis is an unrestricted free agent this summer, but said, “Obviously, I want to stay a Pittsburgh Penguin.
“I’ve said before, my wife and my kids love it around here. I have friends away from the hockey world that I want to be part of their life still.”
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)