Jun 9, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are looking to sign Evgeni Malkin to a long-term contract, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
According to the report, general manager Ray Shero will begin negotiating with Malkin’s agent, J.P. Barry, this week.
Malkin, the Penguins’ first-round pick, second overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, has 217 goals and 560 points in 458 career regular season games for Pittsburgh.
Malkin’s name has recently been linked to trade talk, as the Penguins faded in the Eastern Conference final and were eventually swept by the Boston Bruins.
Malkin is set to enter the final year of a five-year, $43.5 million contract, according to Capgeek.com, and has a no-movement clause that kicks in for the 2013-14 season.
This news comes on the same as talk about Pascal Dupuis and his future with the Penguins.
Dupuis is an unrestricted free agent this summer, but said, “Obviously, I want to stay a Pittsburgh Penguin.
“I’ve said before, my wife and my kids love it around here. I have friends away from the hockey world that I want to be part of their life still.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 46
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)