Jun 9, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are moving quickly to fill their newly vacant head coaching job.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Oilers will announce Dallas Eakins as their new coach tomorrow afternoon. Eakins will replace Ralph Krueger who was relieved of his duties yesterday after one season behind the bench and was let go via Skype.
Eakins has been hotly pursued by the Canucks and Rangers this summer for their vacant head coaching jobs, but the Oilers and GM Craig MacTavish moved quickly to get the up-and-coming star coach. He hinted in yesterday’s press conference he was close to hiring a replacement for Krueger and it was believed Eakins was it.
As the coach of the AHL Toronto Marlies the last four seasons, Eakins led the Maple Leafs farm team to the playoffs the last two years including a run to the Calder Cup finals last year. Eakins also spent two seasons as an assistant coach with the Maple Leafs from 2006 to 2008.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)