Jun 9, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are moving quickly to fill their newly vacant head coaching job.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Oilers will announce Dallas Eakins as their new coach tomorrow afternoon. Eakins will replace Ralph Krueger who was relieved of his duties yesterday after one season behind the bench and was let go via Skype.
Eakins has been hotly pursued by the Canucks and Rangers this summer for their vacant head coaching jobs, but the Oilers and GM Craig MacTavish moved quickly to get the up-and-coming star coach. He hinted in yesterday’s press conference he was close to hiring a replacement for Krueger and it was believed Eakins was it.
As the coach of the AHL Toronto Marlies the last four seasons, Eakins led the Maple Leafs farm team to the playoffs the last two years including a run to the Calder Cup finals last year. Eakins also spent two seasons as an assistant coach with the Maple Leafs from 2006 to 2008.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)