Jun 9, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are moving quickly to fill their newly vacant head coaching job.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the Oilers will announce Dallas Eakins as their new coach tomorrow afternoon. Eakins will replace Ralph Krueger who was relieved of his duties yesterday after one season behind the bench and was let go via Skype.
Eakins has been hotly pursued by the Canucks and Rangers this summer for their vacant head coaching jobs, but the Oilers and GM Craig MacTavish moved quickly to get the up-and-coming star coach. He hinted in yesterday’s press conference he was close to hiring a replacement for Krueger and it was believed Eakins was it.
As the coach of the AHL Toronto Marlies the last four seasons, Eakins led the Maple Leafs farm team to the playoffs the last two years including a run to the Calder Cup finals last year. Eakins also spent two seasons as an assistant coach with the Maple Leafs from 2006 to 2008.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 99
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (100)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)