Jun 9, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Dan Bylsma’s future in Pittsburgh is in question after his team was swept by the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference finals.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post says Penguins owner Mario Lemieux could force GM Ray Shero’s hand into forcing out Bylsma.
Several individuals within the industry have told Slap Shots Penguins chairman Mario Lemieux, distressed by his team’s fourth straight failure to get out of the Eastern Conference after consecutive trips to the Finals in 2008 and 2009, the latter culminating with a Stanley Cup victory, may instruct Shero to dismiss the coach.
Yesterday we heard from Brooks how the Rangers would have instant interest in his services if Bylsma were fired. Throw this story into the mix and you might very well have a fire to go with the smoke.
Of course, all this speculation is coming out of New York City and not Pittsburgh itself. As it is, today is Pittsburgh’s locker clear-out day and if the Pens are going to let Bylsma go they might take time to decide on that.
Keep in mind, however, that Bylsma has one year left on his contract with the Pens. If the team feels a change could be needed eventually, doing so this summer wouldn’t be out of the question.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)