Jun 9, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma’s future in Pittsburgh is in question after his team was swept by the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference finals.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post says Penguins owner Mario Lemieux could force GM Ray Shero’s hand into forcing out Bylsma.
Several individuals within the industry have told Slap Shots Penguins chairman Mario Lemieux, distressed by his team’s fourth straight failure to get out of the Eastern Conference after consecutive trips to the Finals in 2008 and 2009, the latter culminating with a Stanley Cup victory, may instruct Shero to dismiss the coach.
Yesterday we heard from Brooks how the Rangers would have instant interest in his services if Bylsma were fired. Throw this story into the mix and you might very well have a fire to go with the smoke.
Of course, all this speculation is coming out of New York City and not Pittsburgh itself. As it is, today is Pittsburgh’s locker clear-out day and if the Pens are going to let Bylsma go they might take time to decide on that.
Keep in mind, however, that Bylsma has one year left on his contract with the Pens. If the team feels a change could be needed eventually, doing so this summer wouldn’t be out of the question.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)