Jun 9, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma’s future in Pittsburgh is in question after his team was swept by the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference finals.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post says Penguins owner Mario Lemieux could force GM Ray Shero’s hand into forcing out Bylsma.
Several individuals within the industry have told Slap Shots Penguins chairman Mario Lemieux, distressed by his team’s fourth straight failure to get out of the Eastern Conference after consecutive trips to the Finals in 2008 and 2009, the latter culminating with a Stanley Cup victory, may instruct Shero to dismiss the coach.
Yesterday we heard from Brooks how the Rangers would have instant interest in his services if Bylsma were fired. Throw this story into the mix and you might very well have a fire to go with the smoke.
Of course, all this speculation is coming out of New York City and not Pittsburgh itself. As it is, today is Pittsburgh’s locker clear-out day and if the Pens are going to let Bylsma go they might take time to decide on that.
Keep in mind, however, that Bylsma has one year left on his contract with the Pens. If the team feels a change could be needed eventually, doing so this summer wouldn’t be out of the question.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (109)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)