Jun 9, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma’s future in Pittsburgh is in question after his team was swept by the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference finals.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post says Penguins owner Mario Lemieux could force GM Ray Shero’s hand into forcing out Bylsma.
Several individuals within the industry have told Slap Shots Penguins chairman Mario Lemieux, distressed by his team’s fourth straight failure to get out of the Eastern Conference after consecutive trips to the Finals in 2008 and 2009, the latter culminating with a Stanley Cup victory, may instruct Shero to dismiss the coach.
Yesterday we heard from Brooks how the Rangers would have instant interest in his services if Bylsma were fired. Throw this story into the mix and you might very well have a fire to go with the smoke.
Of course, all this speculation is coming out of New York City and not Pittsburgh itself. As it is, today is Pittsburgh’s locker clear-out day and if the Pens are going to let Bylsma go they might take time to decide on that.
Keep in mind, however, that Bylsma has one year left on his contract with the Pens. If the team feels a change could be needed eventually, doing so this summer wouldn’t be out of the question.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)