Jun 9, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
The dissection of the Pittsburgh Penguins continues, as that team cleaned out its lockers Sunday, after getting swept in the Eastern Conference final by the Boston Bruins.
The Penguins entered the series against the Bruins as the top-seeded team in the Eastern Conference, but were outscored 12-2 and quickly bowed out of the race for the Stanley Cup in the third round.
“I think we have the right pieces (and) anytime you don’t win it’s disappointing. Our goal is to win a Cup (and) we came up short,” said Penguins forward James Neal, as per the team’s Twitter account.
But the team’s failure in the conference final has led to many questions about the future of certain individuals on the team, starting with head coach Dan Bylsma.
A report out of the New York Post says owner Mario Lemieux may want Bylsma out.
And then, of course, goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who once again melted down in the playoffs.
“Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)