Jun 9, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
The dissection of the Pittsburgh Penguins continues, as that team cleaned out its lockers Sunday, after getting swept in the Eastern Conference final by the Boston Bruins.
The Penguins entered the series against the Bruins as the top-seeded team in the Eastern Conference, but were outscored 12-2 and quickly bowed out of the race for the Stanley Cup in the third round.
“I think we have the right pieces (and) anytime you don’t win it’s disappointing. Our goal is to win a Cup (and) we came up short,” said Penguins forward James Neal, as per the team’s Twitter account.
But the team’s failure in the conference final has led to many questions about the future of certain individuals on the team, starting with head coach Dan Bylsma.
A report out of the New York Post says owner Mario Lemieux may want Bylsma out.
And then, of course, goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who once again melted down in the playoffs.
“Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 0
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 7
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 39
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)