Jun 9, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
The dissection of the Pittsburgh Penguins continues, as that team cleaned out its lockers Sunday, after getting swept in the Eastern Conference final by the Boston Bruins.
The Penguins entered the series against the Bruins as the top-seeded team in the Eastern Conference, but were outscored 12-2 and quickly bowed out of the race for the Stanley Cup in the third round.
“I think we have the right pieces (and) anytime you don’t win it’s disappointing. Our goal is to win a Cup (and) we came up short,” said Penguins forward James Neal, as per the team’s Twitter account.
But the team’s failure in the conference final has led to many questions about the future of certain individuals on the team, starting with head coach Dan Bylsma.
A report out of the New York Post says owner Mario Lemieux may want Bylsma out.
And then, of course, goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who once again melted down in the playoffs.
“Fleury is our No. 1 goalie and will be moving forward,” Bylsma told reporters. “He is a guy who will come back to this team.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 12
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 22
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)