Jun 9, 2013, 9:54 PM EST
With questions surrounding the health of super star Sidney Crosby, the Pittsburgh Penguins needed an insurance plan.
They acquired Jussi Jokinen, a veteran of now 579 NHL games, from the Carolina Hurricanes for a conditional draft pick at the trade deadline on April 3, while Crosby remained out of the lineup with a broken jaw.
On Sunday, two days after the Penguins were swept in the Eastern Conference final by the Boston Bruins, head coach Dan Bylsma told reporters Jokinen was brought in mostly as an insurance policy, with uncertainty still surround Crosby and a return to action.
Bylsma admits Jokinen was acquired largely because team didn't know when Sid was coming back.—
Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_Trib) June 09, 2013
Jokinen got off to a great start with the Penguins. He scored seven goals in 10 regular season games following the trade, but didn’t have the same impact in the playoffs.
In eight games this post-season, Jokinen had just three assists.
According to Capgeek.com, the 30-year-old Jokinen has one more year remaining on his three-year, $9 million deal
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 14
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)