Jun 9, 2013, 9:54 PM EDT
With questions surrounding the health of super star Sidney Crosby, the Pittsburgh Penguins needed an insurance plan.
They acquired Jussi Jokinen, a veteran of now 579 NHL games, from the Carolina Hurricanes for a conditional draft pick at the trade deadline on April 3, while Crosby remained out of the lineup with a broken jaw.
On Sunday, two days after the Penguins were swept in the Eastern Conference final by the Boston Bruins, head coach Dan Bylsma told reporters Jokinen was brought in mostly as an insurance policy, with uncertainty still surround Crosby and a return to action.
Jokinen got off to a great start with the Penguins. He scored seven goals in 10 regular season games following the trade, but didn’t have the same impact in the playoffs.
In eight games this post-season, Jokinen had just three assists.
According to Capgeek.com, the 30-year-old Jokinen has one more year remaining on his three-year, $9 million deal
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 16
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)