Jun 9, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
One team that figures to be busy no matter what this summer are the Philadelphia Flyers and TSN’s Bob McKenzie helped amp up the speculation.
McKenzie tweeted some thoughts on the Flyers’ situation that are sure to get Flyers fans anxious for at least the June 30 NHL Draft when trade shenanigans take over.
According to CapGeek.com, buying out Ilya Bryzgalov would leave the Flyers on the hook to pay him until the 2026-2027 season but they’d be free of his $5.67 million cap hit and become an instant wild-card to pursue another goaltender.
As for moving either Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier for a top-end defenseman, that makes a lot of sense because Philly lacks a No. 1 blue liner. To get you have to give, as they say, and while the Flyers love both Schenn and Couturier their defense last season was in shambles and needs improvement. Finding that No. 1 defender to deal for, however, is the hard part.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)