Jun 9, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
One team that figures to be busy no matter what this summer are the Philadelphia Flyers and TSN’s Bob McKenzie helped amp up the speculation.
McKenzie tweeted some thoughts on the Flyers’ situation that are sure to get Flyers fans anxious for at least the June 30 NHL Draft when trade shenanigans take over.
According to CapGeek.com, buying out Ilya Bryzgalov would leave the Flyers on the hook to pay him until the 2026-2027 season but they’d be free of his $5.67 million cap hit and become an instant wild-card to pursue another goaltender.
As for moving either Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier for a top-end defenseman, that makes a lot of sense because Philly lacks a No. 1 blue liner. To get you have to give, as they say, and while the Flyers love both Schenn and Couturier their defense last season was in shambles and needs improvement. Finding that No. 1 defender to deal for, however, is the hard part.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)