Jun 9, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
One team that figures to be busy no matter what this summer are the Philadelphia Flyers and TSN’s Bob McKenzie helped amp up the speculation.
McKenzie tweeted some thoughts on the Flyers’ situation that are sure to get Flyers fans anxious for at least the June 30 NHL Draft when trade shenanigans take over.
According to CapGeek.com, buying out Ilya Bryzgalov would leave the Flyers on the hook to pay him until the 2026-2027 season but they’d be free of his $5.67 million cap hit and become an instant wild-card to pursue another goaltender.
As for moving either Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier for a top-end defenseman, that makes a lot of sense because Philly lacks a No. 1 blue liner. To get you have to give, as they say, and while the Flyers love both Schenn and Couturier their defense last season was in shambles and needs improvement. Finding that No. 1 defender to deal for, however, is the hard part.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5