Jun 9, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
It’s not easy being a head coach in the NHL. It’s especially not easy to be one in a bad situation. For now ex-Edmonton Oilers coach Ralph Krueger, not only was the job rough but how he was let go was particularly unkind.
Krueger tells reporters he was fired by GM Craig MacTavish via Skype, the Internet program that allows you to make face-to-face calls anywhere in the world. Krueger was on summer vacation in Davos, Switzerland and apparently it was the easiest way to reach him.
TSN’s Ryan Rishaug shared his conversation with Krueger over what happened.
“This past Thursday he requested that I accept him on Skype so he could Skype me,” Krueger said. “When the conversation began he got right to the message that he felt it was necessary to hire a new head coach. That’s the way it went. The conversation was short.”
If nothing else, he took the bad news like a champ.
He told the Oilers when the season ended he wanted an experienced associate coach to join the staff next season which may not have given MacTavish the best impression in the first place. Krueger says he is grateful for the chance and he’s eager for the next step in his career.
If only we could all be that positive when we’re let go from a job.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
This post will include updates if they’re made available.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
Latest update: He’s on crutches.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Buffalo holds him out from the rest of the game.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
He’s straightforward about it, at least.
Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Vladimir Sobotka might say that’s actually a big gap, though.
Sep 23, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
The jump to Xbox One and Playstation 4 has been bumpy.
Sep 23, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
“It’s nothing new to me.”
Sep 23, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
That was quick.
Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
So, you know, hurry up and sign, kid.
Sep 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
And Erik Karlsson’s the favorite to win the Norris.
Sep 23, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
Which will reportedly begin in September of 2016.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
First part of the two-part series starts in December.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Sep 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Who will Ted Nolan choose?
Sep 23, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Courtesy a Beau Bennett high stick.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Incident occurred during last night’s win over the Rangers.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
Lightning rookie will miss at least the first few games of the regular season.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s establishing what he expects early.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)