Jun 9, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t want to cough up his team’s injured player list on the same night that they were eliminated from the 2013 playoffs by the Chicago Blackhawks, but a couple came forward anyway.
Captain Dustin Brown said he played through a torn PCL (knee) since Game 6 against the San Jose Sharks, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. Justin Williams admitted that he’s been dealing with a separated shoulder since that same semifinal series, as LeBrun also reports. Those weren’t the only wounds from that tightly contested set of games against the Sharks, as the Los Angeles Times’ Lisa Dillman reports that Drew Doughty owned up to ankle issues.
It’s possible the Kings dealt with other issues; details might surface in a few days.
Few would claim it’s an excuse for losing as nearly every team fights through pain – if not legitimate injuries – in the playoffs.
Still, if you’re forming an argument for why Los Angeles should hold its head high about defending the 2012 title, playing hurt is a nice feather in the Kings’ caps.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)