Jun 9, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings head coach Darryl Sutter didn’t want to cough up his team’s injured player list on the same night that they were eliminated from the 2013 playoffs by the Chicago Blackhawks, but a couple came forward anyway.
Captain Dustin Brown said he played through a torn PCL (knee) since Game 6 against the San Jose Sharks, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun. Justin Williams admitted that he’s been dealing with a separated shoulder since that same semifinal series, as LeBrun also reports. Those weren’t the only wounds from that tightly contested set of games against the Sharks, as the Los Angeles Times’ Lisa Dillman reports that Drew Doughty owned up to ankle issues.
It’s possible the Kings dealt with other issues; details might surface in a few days.
Few would claim it’s an excuse for losing as nearly every team fights through pain – if not legitimate injuries – in the playoffs.
Still, if you’re forming an argument for why Los Angeles should hold its head high about defending the 2012 title, playing hurt is a nice feather in the Kings’ caps.
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 24
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)