Jun 8, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
It looks like Sergei Gonchar not only will be sticking around in the NHL, he’s going to be well-compensated for doing so.
It was just a couple days ago there was a report Gonchar would head to the KHL to finish out his career there, but when a team comes calling with a huge offer like this, you can’t blame him for sticking around where he’s had success of late with the Ottawa Senators.
Gonchar had three goals and 24 assists this season for Ottawa and helped the Sens to the second-round of the playoffs. Even at 39 years-old he was averaging over 23 minutes per-game on ice. In Dallas he’ll join up with a host of young defensemen like Brenden Dillon, Jamie Oleksiak, and Philip Larsen to help them learn the ropes.
Perhaps the happiest guy out there about this signing? 36 year-old former Islanders captain, and unrestricted free agent, Mark Streit.
Update (3:30 p.m. ET): The Stars confirm Gonchar’s signing.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)