Jun 8, 2013, 10:38 AM EST
It looks like Sergei Gonchar not only will be sticking around in the NHL, he’s going to be well-compensated for doing so.
It was just a couple days ago there was a report Gonchar would head to the KHL to finish out his career there, but when a team comes calling with a huge offer like this, you can’t blame him for sticking around where he’s had success of late with the Ottawa Senators.
Gonchar had three goals and 24 assists this season for Ottawa and helped the Sens to the second-round of the playoffs. Even at 39 years-old he was averaging over 23 minutes per-game on ice. In Dallas he’ll join up with a host of young defensemen like Brenden Dillon, Jamie Oleksiak, and Philip Larsen to help them learn the ropes.
Perhaps the happiest guy out there about this signing? 36 year-old former Islanders captain, and unrestricted free agent, Mark Streit.
Update (3:30 p.m. ET): The Stars confirm Gonchar’s signing.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 1
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 6
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)