Jun 8, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
New Edmonton Oilers GM Craig MacTavish has decided to fire head coach Ralph Krueger, the team confirmed.
TSN’s Darren Dreger believes that trendy candidate Dallas Eakins could end up being the man in charge, although that might not be part of today’s presser.
It’s a pretty harsh blow for Krueger, who only received this 48-game season to make his mark on the Oilers roster. This was his first opportunity as an NHL head coach.
MacTavish probably deserves some credit for honesty, at least, as it’s common for new general managers to get anxious about hiring “their guy.” This situation could have been messier if he waited for the first excuse to part ways with Krueger, instead.
The new GM provided an explanation for the change, including this line.
“During the process of me conducting those interviews, I recognized I tried to add a coach that was more closely aligned to how I wanted to run the team than what Ralph was looking for,” MacTavish said.
Overall, it doesn’t paint a pretty picture about the Oilers organization, though. With Krueger in charge last season, Tom Renney coaching from 2010-11 to 2011-12 and Pat Quinn being the bench boss in 2009-10, there obviously hasn’t been a great deal of continuity in their coaching ranks.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 33
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 23
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 31
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)