Jun 8, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Now that the Eastern Conference finals are over and Boston has their spot in the Stanley Cup finals booked, it’s up to the Western Conference to figure things out. Chicago can make that very easy by winning tonight.
Game 5: Chicago Blackhawks host Los Angeles Kings (8 p.m. ET, NBC/Live Extra)
Chicago leads series 3-1
It feels almost as if the writing is on the wall for tonight’s Game 5 in Chicago. The defending champion Kings are down 3-1 in the series and face a do-or-die situation on the road where they’ve won just once in this postseason (Game 5 against St. Louis in Round 1). These Blackhawks are just a tad better than the Blues and they’re 8-1 at United Center in the playoffs. That sense of dread coming from L.A. is almost palpable.
If the Kings are going to win a second road game in these playoffs and extend the series to a Game 6, they’ll have to find a way to get their offense going away from Staples Center. In eight road games they’ve got just 11 goals and have been beaten 2-1 in six of their seven road losses. While you can point to their defense and even Jonathan Quick letting them down in Thursday’s Game 4, there’s no doubt the lack of goals has been a major factor in their lack of road success.
Chicago, on the other hand, looks like they’ve got things under control. Getting in a situation where you can end the series on home ice before it’s a Game 7 situation has to feel pretty good. Even better for the Blackhawks is that they get defenseman Duncan Keith back from suspension tonight. Some of the gaffes they had in Game 4 without him aren’t likely to reoccur. Sorry Sheldon Brookbank, but your one-game audition wasn’t so hot.
If the Kings are going to win Game 5 they’ve got to get someone other than Slava Voynov to score goals. Voynov, Jeff Carter, and Justin Williams all lead the team with six goals in the postseason and Carter’s last goal came in Game 2 of this series. With Mike Richards‘ status still in doubt, Carter’s been piling up assists. Perhaps tonight L.A. can finally see some production from captain Dustin Brown and center Anze Kopitar as they’re both pointless in this series.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)