Jun 8, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
The Penguins’ disappointing finish in the Eastern Conference finals has some out there thinking it might lead to Dan Bylsma being fired as their head coach. While that seems drastic, there’s one team ready to talk to him to be their bench boss should that happen.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post says if the Pens should part ways with Bylsma, the New York Rangers would move the 42 year-old Stanley Cup-winning coach to the top of their list of replacements for the fired John Tortorella. Of course, the Penguins would have to grant permission to speak with him so there’s that roadblock, but if they parted ways with the guy it’s a bit mean to not let him find another job.
As it is now, their list of candidates includes Alain Vigneault, Lindy Ruff, Dallas Eakins and former captain Mark Messier. Vigneault is believed to be the front-runner at the moment, but if Bylsma or Phoenix coach Dave Tippett became available that could change quickly. Tippett, however, remains firm that he wants to stay in Phoenix.
That said, if Bylsma does get swept out by GM Ray Shero, the Rangers won’t be alone in wanting to pursue him.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)