Jun 8, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
The Penguins’ disappointing finish in the Eastern Conference finals has some out there thinking it might lead to Dan Bylsma being fired as their head coach. While that seems drastic, there’s one team ready to talk to him to be their bench boss should that happen.
Larry Brooks of the New York Post says if the Pens should part ways with Bylsma, the New York Rangers would move the 42 year-old Stanley Cup-winning coach to the top of their list of replacements for the fired John Tortorella. Of course, the Penguins would have to grant permission to speak with him so there’s that roadblock, but if they parted ways with the guy it’s a bit mean to not let him find another job.
As it is now, their list of candidates includes Alain Vigneault, Lindy Ruff, Dallas Eakins and former captain Mark Messier. Vigneault is believed to be the front-runner at the moment, but if Bylsma or Phoenix coach Dave Tippett became available that could change quickly. Tippett, however, remains firm that he wants to stay in Phoenix.
That said, if Bylsma does get swept out by GM Ray Shero, the Rangers won’t be alone in wanting to pursue him.
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 4
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 7
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 10
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 32
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 41
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)