Jun 8, 2013, 12:10 AM EST
Sidney Crosby seems to agree with Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma’s belief that the team went all-out in the final two games of the series. He said as much to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“The last couple games, I thought we deserved better,” Crosby said.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien indicated that the series was closer than a sweep might indicate.
“This series here against Pittsburgh was not a 4-0 series,” Julien said. “I really felt that the breaks went our way in this series on a lot of occasions. You just have to look back right at the end of the game where Malkin has the open net and Zdeno makes the arm save. They dinged some shots off the post. If those go in, it’s a different series …. That’s the unfortunate part of this game, you know, sometimes as a team, you don’t get the breaks and you wonder what you have to do. I think that’s where Pittsburgh was a little snake bitten that way, and we were the team that was taking advantage of our breaks.”
Julien was quick to assert that the Bruins played well, though.
He also admitted that having a long layoff to prepare for the Penguins helped, as did the additional rest. If his statement about “external criticism” is any indication, he can relate to Bylsma, even if he’s not currently in that situation.
“Like I said, you know, I don’t even know that there’s criticism about the system there,” Julien said. “I’ve been here for six years. I think I’ve been fired five times. You know, those kinds of things really are not important to me. What’s important is the results.”
And those results are well-earned, even if there’s some luck involved.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)