Jun 8, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby seems to agree with Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma’s belief that the team went all-out in the final two games of the series. He said as much to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
“The last couple games, I thought we deserved better,” Crosby said.
Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien indicated that the series was closer than a sweep might indicate.
“This series here against Pittsburgh was not a 4-0 series,” Julien said. “I really felt that the breaks went our way in this series on a lot of occasions. You just have to look back right at the end of the game where Malkin has the open net and Zdeno makes the arm save. They dinged some shots off the post. If those go in, it’s a different series …. That’s the unfortunate part of this game, you know, sometimes as a team, you don’t get the breaks and you wonder what you have to do. I think that’s where Pittsburgh was a little snake bitten that way, and we were the team that was taking advantage of our breaks.”
Julien was quick to assert that the Bruins played well, though.
He also admitted that having a long layoff to prepare for the Penguins helped, as did the additional rest. If his statement about “external criticism” is any indication, he can relate to Bylsma, even if he’s not currently in that situation.
“Like I said, you know, I don’t even know that there’s criticism about the system there,” Julien said. “I’ve been here for six years. I think I’ve been fired five times. You know, those kinds of things really are not important to me. What’s important is the results.”
And those results are well-earned, even if there’s some luck involved.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)