Crosby thinks Penguins ‘deserved better’

Jun 8, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT

characrosbygetty Getty Images

Sidney Crosby seems to agree with Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma’s belief that the team went all-out in the final two games of the series. He said as much to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.

“The last couple games, I thought we deserved better,” Crosby said.

Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien indicated that the series was closer than a sweep might indicate.

“This series here against Pittsburgh was not a 4-0 series,” Julien said. “I really felt that the breaks went our way in this series on a lot of occasions. You just have to look back right at the end of the game where Malkin has the open net and Zdeno makes the arm save.  They dinged some shots off the post.  If those go in, it’s a different series …. That’s the unfortunate part of this game, you know, sometimes as a team, you don’t get the breaks and you wonder what you have to do. I think that’s where Pittsburgh was a little snake bitten that way, and we were the team that was taking advantage of our breaks.”

Julien was quick to assert that the Bruins played well, though.

He also admitted that having a long layoff to prepare for the Penguins helped, as did the additional rest. If his statement about “external criticism” is any indication, he can relate to Bylsma, even if he’s not currently in that situation.

“Like I said, you know, I don’t even know that there’s criticism about the system there,” Julien said. “I’ve been here for six years.  I think I’ve been fired five times. You know, those kinds of things really are not important to me. What’s important is the results.”

And those results are well-earned, even if there’s some luck involved.

168 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. billsboy88 - Jun 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I dunno if I would say “deserved” but I would say you guys coulda done a heck of a lot better than that. 2 goals won’t win most games, much less a series.

Oh well, at least it’s summer

2. davidmessina63 - Jun 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I keep hearing how the penguins outplayed the bruins in game 3 and game 4 was pretty much even. So I’m to believe the Pens deserved better because they showed up and played in 2 out of 4 games? The Bruins showed up for 4 games. That’s why the Bruins deserved it. I was at the game last night. There were a lot of calls that could have been called on the Pens that didn’t so using the refs as an excuse is just lame. If anything the calls were in Pittsburghs favor. The unsportsmanslike conduct was a freebie for the Pens. You gotta show up every game. They didn’t. The B’s handed the RASKicking to the Pens. Any team that only scores 2 goals in a series will never win a series. Breaks or no breaks…you gotta be able to put the puck in the net.

I think the Bruins and Hawks match up well. If LA can extend it to 7 games before the Hawks win I will be out for summer vacation (teacher) and I would be able to road trip to Chicago for a game to watch the B’s.

Good Luck next year Pittsburgh. Go BruWins!

• gm4602009 - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Rask is the only reason Bruins go onto cup finals! He was a wall! Better be one against the west or they will get swept. He showed up for 4 games. Bruins were out shot and outplayed atleast two out of the four games.

• gallyhatch - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I’m pretty sure good coaching and discipline were a big part of it also.

Give credit where credit’s due.

3. andyisfat - Jun 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Baaaahaaaahaaaaa!

4. andyisfat - Jun 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Pittsburgh a hockey city? Hahahahahahahaha.

• cheesesteak75 - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Obviously you have never been to Pittsburgh.

5. amityvillefun - Jun 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Sidney’s daddy needs to take him on his knee and have a little talk. It’s not “deserved.”

Go take a visit to a local children’s hospital Sid. Do those kids “deserve it?”

Crosby is an entitled, whiny, self-centered person (based on his comments in the media). No one “deserves” anything in this world. We take what we are given and do the best we can with it.

Honestly, I don’t even care if the Bruins win the Cup (although it would be really nice). I wanted to see them teach Pittsburgh a lesson and they did. I guess Sid will have some time to think about it in the offseason.

Sid, with all the concussions and stuff, you are lucky to still be playing. You should be thankful, not complaining all the time.

Looking forward to the STANLEY CUP FINALS….I like both the Kings and Hawks as teams, but it would be great to see the Hawks and Bruins in the finals.

Go Bruins! Rask just earned himself a nice payday with his post season goaltending.

• hockeyallday - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Go Bruins. I think they will give the Hawks a battle like no other. Hawks barely got through the wings.

6. poonerman - Jun 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

And Crosby completes the Pitti Hat Trick-
    “we hit the post a lot”
    “we didn’t get the calls”
    “we deserved it”

7. patriotslove12 - Jun 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Of course Crosby ‘thinks’ he deserves “better. ” Although being the best all-around hockey player in the world, he’s an ENTITLED brat. You don’t like the result Sidney; you should have changed it with your play and stop your mouth from moving!

8. 24/7 Hockey - Jun 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Perhaps Pittsburgh may have done better if they would have gotten more production from their star players, namely Crosby. As a captain he should lead by example and not whine every time something goes wrong. 0 points and -2 for the series is unacceptable and maybe Crosby should take a look in the mirror and take some blame for the loss.

• hockeyallday - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Kind of like that Toews poor sport.

• bigscotto68 - Jun 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Best all around player in the world? Why because Gay Buttman says so. There is not a scenario where”The worlds Best” puts up a bagel for an entire series. There are a bunch of players who out toughed and outworked Sidney Crosby throughout the playoffs. Any clown can put up points in 7-5 games with no attempt at defense. Sorry Sid, you are far from the best in the world, I will take Malkin anyday off your own team. How long has it been since he played an entire season? Best in the world my ars!

• 24/7 Hockey - Jun 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM

You would take Malkin who did the same exact thing with a worse +/-? On what justification? Whenever Crosby is on the ice he gives it his all and rarely has a 4 game streak with 0 points. This year was in fact his first ever streak in the postseason during his career. He has 105 more points than malkin in 12 more games. So what exactly would be justification for Malkin being better? His great durability after Malkin missed 79 games the last 3 years? I don’t understand.

9. alwaysgame7 - Jun 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

How the Hell can you say the refs gave this game to the Bruins? NEITHER team scored a power play goal all series? And if you need lopsided calls to win a series you don’t belong in the SCF.

• bigscotto68 - Jun 10, 2013 at 8:01 PM

blame the refs really, maybe if Cindy scored a gaol or two they would have won a game….crybaby

10. blackhawks2010 - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Pens were terrible, call it what you will. They escaped the Islanders and beat a poor Rangers unit. They were not the same team as the regular season, goaltending was garbage and no defense. Not a recipe to win in the playoffs.

• alwaysgame7 - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Think you mean Senators… The Bruins played the rangers in round 2… Pens vs Ottawa in their game 2 series

11. gallyhatch - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Maybe if Crosby led by example, and kept his cool in game one the Pens might have got a W. Instead of staying calm and ushering his teammates off the ice to get ready for the impending power play at end of the second period, he decided to to badger & taunt Rask, and then get into it with Chara. Pandemonium ensued.

After penalties are assessed, two of the bext Penguins power play weapons are in the box, and the PP is negated.

Crosby could learn a lot from guys like Chara & Iginla.

• gallyhatch - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Whoops, please excuse the typos, I might still be a little tipsy from celebrating the Bruins SCF berth.

12. REDSKINSFORLIFE - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Where is Cindy playing golf now that his season is over. When Cindy is playing golf does he stop between 9 and 10 to whine to the course pro about how hard the par 5’s are? What a whiney b!tch.

13. bbk1000 - Jun 10, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I’d honestly like to see him watch a tape of himself griping about everything and see how he reacts. He appears to have been very a spoiled child….

I’ll bet in his childhood when he didn’t get his way he would take his puck and go home….

14. nekelund - Jun 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I’m sorry to hear that your team’s results were inconsistent with your sense of entitlement, Sid. Since you clearly spend all your spare time saving orphans and the blind from burning buildings while the Boston Bruins spend theirs punching old ladies in the face, though, I guess your position on the moral high ground is unassailable, though.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches