Jun 7, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars shared a little more about what they’re willing to offer Sergei Gonchar – and what kind of expectations they have for him if he signs a deal – after acquiring his negotiating rights from the Ottawa Senators on Friday.
GM Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News that he’s “prepared” to offer Gonchar a two-year contract, which is significant considering the fact that the aging blueliner is 39.
“Two years is something we’re prepared to do,’’ Nill said. “We feel he’s in excellent shape. He adds not only skill to the team, but character, too. These are the kinds of players that can really help us become the kind of team we want to become.”
Nill admitted that he’d like to get a deal done as soon as possible, with July 4 being something of a deadline since he’d become an unrestricted free agent on the 5th.
The newly hired executive thinks Gonchar could end up being the team’s top defenseman.
“Players like this, they’re real pros. That’s why they are playing so long,’’ Nill said. “You look at what he did last season, and he was a top NHL defenseman. I think any organization would want to add a player like that.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)