Jun 7, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars shared a little more about what they’re willing to offer Sergei Gonchar – and what kind of expectations they have for him if he signs a deal – after acquiring his negotiating rights from the Ottawa Senators on Friday.
GM Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News that he’s “prepared” to offer Gonchar a two-year contract, which is significant considering the fact that the aging blueliner is 39.
“Two years is something we’re prepared to do,’’ Nill said. “We feel he’s in excellent shape. He adds not only skill to the team, but character, too. These are the kinds of players that can really help us become the kind of team we want to become.”
Nill admitted that he’d like to get a deal done as soon as possible, with July 4 being something of a deadline since he’d become an unrestricted free agent on the 5th.
The newly hired executive thinks Gonchar could end up being the team’s top defenseman.
“Players like this, they’re real pros. That’s why they are playing so long,’’ Nill said. “You look at what he did last season, and he was a top NHL defenseman. I think any organization would want to add a player like that.”
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)