Jun 7, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars shared a little more about what they’re willing to offer Sergei Gonchar – and what kind of expectations they have for him if he signs a deal – after acquiring his negotiating rights from the Ottawa Senators on Friday.
GM Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News that he’s “prepared” to offer Gonchar a two-year contract, which is significant considering the fact that the aging blueliner is 39.
“Two years is something we’re prepared to do,’’ Nill said. “We feel he’s in excellent shape. He adds not only skill to the team, but character, too. These are the kinds of players that can really help us become the kind of team we want to become.”
Nill admitted that he’d like to get a deal done as soon as possible, with July 4 being something of a deadline since he’d become an unrestricted free agent on the 5th.
The newly hired executive thinks Gonchar could end up being the team’s top defenseman.
“Players like this, they’re real pros. That’s why they are playing so long,’’ Nill said. “You look at what he did last season, and he was a top NHL defenseman. I think any organization would want to add a player like that.”
- Five big games to watch this weekend 0
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 26
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 32
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 29
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)