Jun 7, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars shared a little more about what they’re willing to offer Sergei Gonchar – and what kind of expectations they have for him if he signs a deal – after acquiring his negotiating rights from the Ottawa Senators on Friday.
GM Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News that he’s “prepared” to offer Gonchar a two-year contract, which is significant considering the fact that the aging blueliner is 39.
“Two years is something we’re prepared to do,’’ Nill said. “We feel he’s in excellent shape. He adds not only skill to the team, but character, too. These are the kinds of players that can really help us become the kind of team we want to become.”
Nill admitted that he’d like to get a deal done as soon as possible, with July 4 being something of a deadline since he’d become an unrestricted free agent on the 5th.
The newly hired executive thinks Gonchar could end up being the team’s top defenseman.
“Players like this, they’re real pros. That’s why they are playing so long,’’ Nill said. “You look at what he did last season, and he was a top NHL defenseman. I think any organization would want to add a player like that.”
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 38
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 16
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)