Jun 7, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars shared a little more about what they’re willing to offer Sergei Gonchar – and what kind of expectations they have for him if he signs a deal – after acquiring his negotiating rights from the Ottawa Senators on Friday.
GM Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News that he’s “prepared” to offer Gonchar a two-year contract, which is significant considering the fact that the aging blueliner is 39.
“Two years is something we’re prepared to do,’’ Nill said. “We feel he’s in excellent shape. He adds not only skill to the team, but character, too. These are the kinds of players that can really help us become the kind of team we want to become.”
Nill admitted that he’d like to get a deal done as soon as possible, with July 4 being something of a deadline since he’d become an unrestricted free agent on the 5th.
The newly hired executive thinks Gonchar could end up being the team’s top defenseman.
“Players like this, they’re real pros. That’s why they are playing so long,’’ Nill said. “You look at what he did last season, and he was a top NHL defenseman. I think any organization would want to add a player like that.”
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 0
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 11
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 10
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)