Jun 7, 2013, 10:41 AM EST
AHL Toronto head coach Dallas Eakins will interview for yet another NHL gig.
The Rangers have reportedly obtained permission to speak with Eakins about their vacant bench boss job, according to the New York Daily News.
The 46-year-old Eakins has been coaching the Marlies since 2009 and is regarded as one of the American League’s finest coaches, taking the Marlies to the 2012 Calder Cup finals while posting a .632 winning percentage in each of his last two seasons.
As such, he’s been a busy man lately.
Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish also spoke with Eakins about possibly taking an associate’s job under current head coach Ralph Krueger.
One person going to bat for Eakins for the New York job? Former Ranger Mike Mottau.
“I played for a number of coaches over the years and I can say Dallas is one of the best,” Mottau told the New York Post. “He was able to look at certain guys and let them play to their strengths and work on their weaknesses.
“Other coaches promote themselves and their system, but he was looking at the betterment of the group. He was just a breath of fresh air for me.”
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 17
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 68
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Patrick Kane (fractured clavicle) out 12 weeks after surgery 41
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (71)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)