Jun 7, 2013, 10:41 AM EST
AHL Toronto head coach Dallas Eakins will interview for yet another NHL gig.
The Rangers have reportedly obtained permission to speak with Eakins about their vacant bench boss job, according to the New York Daily News.
The 46-year-old Eakins has been coaching the Marlies since 2009 and is regarded as one of the American League’s finest coaches, taking the Marlies to the 2012 Calder Cup finals while posting a .632 winning percentage in each of his last two seasons.
As such, he’s been a busy man lately.
Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish also spoke with Eakins about possibly taking an associate’s job under current head coach Ralph Krueger.
One person going to bat for Eakins for the New York job? Former Ranger Mike Mottau.
“I played for a number of coaches over the years and I can say Dallas is one of the best,” Mottau told the New York Post. “He was able to look at certain guys and let them play to their strengths and work on their weaknesses.
“Other coaches promote themselves and their system, but he was looking at the betterment of the group. He was just a breath of fresh air for me.”
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 21
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 24
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 24
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 129
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (129)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (108)