Jun 7, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
AHL Toronto head coach Dallas Eakins will interview for yet another NHL gig.
The Rangers have reportedly obtained permission to speak with Eakins about their vacant bench boss job, according to the New York Daily News.
The 46-year-old Eakins has been coaching the Marlies since 2009 and is regarded as one of the American League’s finest coaches, taking the Marlies to the 2012 Calder Cup finals while posting a .632 winning percentage in each of his last two seasons.
As such, he’s been a busy man lately.
Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish also spoke with Eakins about possibly taking an associate’s job under current head coach Ralph Krueger.
One person going to bat for Eakins for the New York job? Former Ranger Mike Mottau.
“I played for a number of coaches over the years and I can say Dallas is one of the best,” Mottau told the New York Post. “He was able to look at certain guys and let them play to their strengths and work on their weaknesses.
“Other coaches promote themselves and their system, but he was looking at the betterment of the group. He was just a breath of fresh air for me.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)