Jun 7, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
AHL Toronto head coach Dallas Eakins will interview for yet another NHL gig.
The Rangers have reportedly obtained permission to speak with Eakins about their vacant bench boss job, according to the New York Daily News.
The 46-year-old Eakins has been coaching the Marlies since 2009 and is regarded as one of the American League’s finest coaches, taking the Marlies to the 2012 Calder Cup finals while posting a .632 winning percentage in each of his last two seasons.
As such, he’s been a busy man lately.
Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish also spoke with Eakins about possibly taking an associate’s job under current head coach Ralph Krueger.
One person going to bat for Eakins for the New York job? Former Ranger Mike Mottau.
“I played for a number of coaches over the years and I can say Dallas is one of the best,” Mottau told the New York Post. “He was able to look at certain guys and let them play to their strengths and work on their weaknesses.
“Other coaches promote themselves and their system, but he was looking at the betterment of the group. He was just a breath of fresh air for me.”
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)