Jun 7, 2013, 10:41 AM EST
AHL Toronto head coach Dallas Eakins will interview for yet another NHL gig.
The Rangers have reportedly obtained permission to speak with Eakins about their vacant bench boss job, according to the New York Daily News.
The 46-year-old Eakins has been coaching the Marlies since 2009 and is regarded as one of the American League’s finest coaches, taking the Marlies to the 2012 Calder Cup finals while posting a .632 winning percentage in each of his last two seasons.
As such, he’s been a busy man lately.
Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish also spoke with Eakins about possibly taking an associate’s job under current head coach Ralph Krueger.
One person going to bat for Eakins for the New York job? Former Ranger Mike Mottau.
“I played for a number of coaches over the years and I can say Dallas is one of the best,” Mottau told the New York Post. “He was able to look at certain guys and let them play to their strengths and work on their weaknesses.
“Other coaches promote themselves and their system, but he was looking at the betterment of the group. He was just a breath of fresh air for me.”
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)