Jun 7, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are picking up the pieces after a stunning sweep at the hands of the Boston Bruins on Friday. Plenty of people would rather not hear the many excuses, particularly ones like “it was against a strong team” and “at least it happened in the conference finals.”
One can see where those critics are coming from when you look at the most troubling stats: zero points in the third-round series for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Almost as bad: two goals in almost 14 periods for the team that lead the NHL in scoring during the regular season.
Still, the Penguins have been one of the league’s best teams during the past several years, even with significant injury hurdles to clear almost every season.
Some want to push the red button and blow everything up. Others think it’s a bad idea to put too much weight in a four-game series when you consider the Penguins’ past successes.
Whether the decisions come swiftly or deeper into the offseason, the answers will eventually come. What do you think, though? Should the Penguins stay the course or blow it up?
Feel free to be more specific about which changes – if any – should be made.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)