Jun 7, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are picking up the pieces after a stunning sweep at the hands of the Boston Bruins on Friday. Plenty of people would rather not hear the many excuses, particularly ones like “it was against a strong team” and “at least it happened in the conference finals.”
One can see where those critics are coming from when you look at the most troubling stats: zero points in the third-round series for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Almost as bad: two goals in almost 14 periods for the team that lead the NHL in scoring during the regular season.
Still, the Penguins have been one of the league’s best teams during the past several years, even with significant injury hurdles to clear almost every season.
Some want to push the red button and blow everything up. Others think it’s a bad idea to put too much weight in a four-game series when you consider the Penguins’ past successes.
Whether the decisions come swiftly or deeper into the offseason, the answers will eventually come. What do you think, though? Should the Penguins stay the course or blow it up?
Feel free to be more specific about which changes – if any – should be made.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)