Jun 7, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are picking up the pieces after a stunning sweep at the hands of the Boston Bruins on Friday. Plenty of people would rather not hear the many excuses, particularly ones like “it was against a strong team” and “at least it happened in the conference finals.”
One can see where those critics are coming from when you look at the most troubling stats: zero points in the third-round series for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Almost as bad: two goals in almost 14 periods for the team that lead the NHL in scoring during the regular season.
Still, the Penguins have been one of the league’s best teams during the past several years, even with significant injury hurdles to clear almost every season.
Some want to push the red button and blow everything up. Others think it’s a bad idea to put too much weight in a four-game series when you consider the Penguins’ past successes.
Whether the decisions come swiftly or deeper into the offseason, the answers will eventually come. What do you think, though? Should the Penguins stay the course or blow it up?
Feel free to be more specific about which changes – if any – should be made.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)