Jun 7, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are picking up the pieces after a stunning sweep at the hands of the Boston Bruins on Friday. Plenty of people would rather not hear the many excuses, particularly ones like “it was against a strong team” and “at least it happened in the conference finals.”
One can see where those critics are coming from when you look at the most troubling stats: zero points in the third-round series for Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Almost as bad: two goals in almost 14 periods for the team that lead the NHL in scoring during the regular season.
Still, the Penguins have been one of the league’s best teams during the past several years, even with significant injury hurdles to clear almost every season.
Some want to push the red button and blow everything up. Others think it’s a bad idea to put too much weight in a four-game series when you consider the Penguins’ past successes.
Whether the decisions come swiftly or deeper into the offseason, the answers will eventually come. What do you think, though? Should the Penguins stay the course or blow it up?
Feel free to be more specific about which changes – if any – should be made.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)