Jun 7, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
“We’re very, very lucky right now,” Marchand told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “A few of those games could have gone the other way if a few of their plays would have connected.
“Last game, they deserved to win, but we got a little lucky.”
Marchand does have a point. The Bruins were out-shot 54-40 in Game 3 and gave Pittsburgh six power play opportunities, but some quality goaltending from Tuukka Rask and a few hit posts limited the Pens to just one goal.
But in the overall series landscape, it’s not accurate to say the Bruins were the benefactors of great luck.
Sure, some bounces went their way, but those bounces don’t account for badly outscoring the Penguins (9-1) or outshooting them (59-56) in their own barn, where they were 5-1 heading into the conference finals.
Based on overall play and capitalizing on opportunities, Boston is full value for the commanding lead.
Regardless, Marchand insisted that — heading into this series — the Bruins never even entertained the idea of winning the first three games of the series.
“It’s not something you ever think is going to happen, especially against a team like Pittsburgh,” he said.
“We’re definitely happy with where we’re at, but we never thought it would happen.”
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 22
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 67
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)