Jun 7, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
“We’re very, very lucky right now,” Marchand told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “A few of those games could have gone the other way if a few of their plays would have connected.
“Last game, they deserved to win, but we got a little lucky.”
Marchand does have a point. The Bruins were out-shot 54-40 in Game 3 and gave Pittsburgh six power play opportunities, but some quality goaltending from Tuukka Rask and a few hit posts limited the Pens to just one goal.
But in the overall series landscape, it’s not accurate to say the Bruins were the benefactors of great luck.
Sure, some bounces went their way, but those bounces don’t account for badly outscoring the Penguins (9-1) or outshooting them (59-56) in their own barn, where they were 5-1 heading into the conference finals.
Based on overall play and capitalizing on opportunities, Boston is full value for the commanding lead.
Regardless, Marchand insisted that — heading into this series — the Bruins never even entertained the idea of winning the first three games of the series.
“It’s not something you ever think is going to happen, especially against a team like Pittsburgh,” he said.
“We’re definitely happy with where we’re at, but we never thought it would happen.”
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)