Jun 7, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
“We’re very, very lucky right now,” Marchand told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “A few of those games could have gone the other way if a few of their plays would have connected.
“Last game, they deserved to win, but we got a little lucky.”
Marchand does have a point. The Bruins were out-shot 54-40 in Game 3 and gave Pittsburgh six power play opportunities, but some quality goaltending from Tuukka Rask and a few hit posts limited the Pens to just one goal.
But in the overall series landscape, it’s not accurate to say the Bruins were the benefactors of great luck.
Sure, some bounces went their way, but those bounces don’t account for badly outscoring the Penguins (9-1) or outshooting them (59-56) in their own barn, where they were 5-1 heading into the conference finals.
Based on overall play and capitalizing on opportunities, Boston is full value for the commanding lead.
Regardless, Marchand insisted that — heading into this series — the Bruins never even entertained the idea of winning the first three games of the series.
“It’s not something you ever think is going to happen, especially against a team like Pittsburgh,” he said.
“We’re definitely happy with where we’re at, but we never thought it would happen.”
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (99)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)