Jun 7, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
“We’re very, very lucky right now,” Marchand told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “A few of those games could have gone the other way if a few of their plays would have connected.
“Last game, they deserved to win, but we got a little lucky.”
Marchand does have a point. The Bruins were out-shot 54-40 in Game 3 and gave Pittsburgh six power play opportunities, but some quality goaltending from Tuukka Rask and a few hit posts limited the Pens to just one goal.
But in the overall series landscape, it’s not accurate to say the Bruins were the benefactors of great luck.
Sure, some bounces went their way, but those bounces don’t account for badly outscoring the Penguins (9-1) or outshooting them (59-56) in their own barn, where they were 5-1 heading into the conference finals.
Based on overall play and capitalizing on opportunities, Boston is full value for the commanding lead.
Regardless, Marchand insisted that — heading into this series — the Bruins never even entertained the idea of winning the first three games of the series.
“It’s not something you ever think is going to happen, especially against a team like Pittsburgh,” he said.
“We’re definitely happy with where we’re at, but we never thought it would happen.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)