Jun 7, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
The Jets had a “preliminary contract discussion” with Bogosian’s agent, Bob Murray, on Thursday.
This negotiation promises to be an interesting one as Bogosian, a 22-year-old restricted free agent, is about to see his two-year, $5 million deal expire.
He signed that deal after his entry-level contract expired in 2011, and should be in line for a big payday this summer.
Though he’s dealt with health issues over the last two years (missing 32 games with wrist, lower- and upper-body injuries), the former No. 4 overall pick has been a solid producer when healthy.
Bogosian had 14 points in 33 games this year, but averaged 23:07 TOI — second only to fellow Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien.
Last year, he posted a career-high 30 points in 65 games.
The Jets are in a unique position when it comes to re-signing Bogosian. They’re roughly $28 million under the cap for 2013-14, but only have 12 players under contract.
On the blueline, they’ve already got big money locked into Byfuglien ($5.2 million per until 2016) and Tobias Enstrom ($5.75 million per until 2018) and it’s expected that highly-touted 2012 first-rounder Jacob Trouba will have a shot at making the roster next year.
An added element is the potential of an offer sheet.
At 22, Bogosian has a lot of hockey still to play and an aggressive team could put Winnipeg in a financial bind — if the offer sheet was big enough.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 0
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)