Jun 7, 2013, 3:11 PM EST
The Jets had a “preliminary contract discussion” with Bogosian’s agent, Bob Murray, on Thursday.
This negotiation promises to be an interesting one as Bogosian, a 22-year-old restricted free agent, is about to see his two-year, $5 million deal expire.
He signed that deal after his entry-level contract expired in 2011, and should be in line for a big payday this summer.
Though he’s dealt with health issues over the last two years (missing 32 games with wrist, lower- and upper-body injuries), the former No. 4 overall pick has been a solid producer when healthy.
Bogosian had 14 points in 33 games this year, but averaged 23:07 TOI — second only to fellow Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien.
Last year, he posted a career-high 30 points in 65 games.
The Jets are in a unique position when it comes to re-signing Bogosian. They’re roughly $28 million under the cap for 2013-14, but only have 12 players under contract.
On the blueline, they’ve already got big money locked into Byfuglien ($5.2 million per until 2016) and Tobias Enstrom ($5.75 million per until 2018) and it’s expected that highly-touted 2012 first-rounder Jacob Trouba will have a shot at making the roster next year.
An added element is the potential of an offer sheet.
At 22, Bogosian has a lot of hockey still to play and an aggressive team could put Winnipeg in a financial bind — if the offer sheet was big enough.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)